Protecting Vehicle Paint

Sterling

I plan on driving through some nasty overgrown roads in June and have been looking at some options for protecting paint.

One option is a spray-on goop that is like rubber. It can be peeled off like, like that stuff women put on their face.

There's also rolls of "tape", not pretty, but effective. I haven't found a product of this kind that I like.

Does anyone here have experience with any such products and if so, which do you recommend?

Thanks

for a cheap solution, id literally use painters tape...I used to painters tape my carbon fibre hood on my car when i was making trips up north...it worked really well! and it costs basically nothing. When done peel it off...it even holds up surprisingly well when it rains!

40 minutes ago, mark demmery said:

My buddies used to get that 3M clear film installed. Def more than painters tape...lol.  But it was good for a few years. 

Problem is after going through the bush that clear is going to look like garbage and he'll probably wanna take it off, lol

10 hours ago, Freshtrax said:

Everyone needs some fishing pinstripes.   I just send it then do the best when I get back to mitigate damage  with some wax and buffer clear coat scrathes buff out pretty easy

if only we lived in a province where they didnt throw brine and salt on the roads because people cant friggin drive.

On 5/28/2018 at 9:16 AM, AKRISONER said:

for a cheap solution, id literally use painters tape...I used to painters tape my carbon fibre hood on my car when i was making trips up north...it worked really well! and it costs basically nothing. When done peel it off...it even holds up surprisingly well when it rains!

On 5/28/2018 at 1:09 PM, BillM said:

Painters tape on the cheap.

Wait - that thin painter's tape stuff? Wouldn't that take hours to cover a vehicle?

On 5/28/2018 at 9:58 AM, John Bacon said:

Cover your vehicle in custom "fridge magnets".  I saw something like this at the Sportsman Show a few years ago.

Here's a link - http://www.protec-magnet.com/home.html

Great product, awful website. Doesn't seem like they have popular models though like F150. Oh well - anyone want to partner up on a new business?

33 minutes ago, Sterling said:

Wait - that thin painter's tape stuff? Wouldn't that take hours to cover a vehicle?

Great product, awful website. Doesn't seem like they have popular models though like F150. Oh well - anyone want to partner up on a new business?

You dont really need to cover the entire vehicle top to bottom do you? Even then, there is painters tape thats about 4 inches wide...it actually wouldnt take very long to do.

I always did the front of the hood and then the bumper...it wasnt that bad.

Edited by AKRISONER

3 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

You dont really need to cover the entire vehicle top to bottom do you? Even then, there is painters tape thats about 4 inches wide...it actually wouldnt take very long to do.

I always did the front of the hood and then the bumper...it wasnt that bad.

I'd have to cover the entire sides of the vehicles, based on the amount of overgrowth I saw last time.

Luckily we don't need to navigate this road this year, but it's always good to have a backup plan.

8 minutes ago, Sterling said:

I'd have to cover the entire sides of the vehicles, based on the amount of overgrowth I saw last time.

Luckily we don't need to navigate this road this year, but it's always good to have a backup plan.

with thicker width tape and 2 people...it wont take you very long at all...especially because it doesnt have to be precise at all.

3 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

with thicker width tape and 2 people...it wont take you very long at all...especially because it doesnt have to be precise at all.

Yeah it's not a bad option. 9 people tagging along... it would be done within 10 minutes.

• 4 weeks later...