advice on glasstop stove. coil not working

huzzsaba

Recently the large coil on my Frigidaire  glass top stove stopped working.  the coil is the one that has 2 setting ( big and small size pot).  The screen on top of the temperature knob shows HE (hot element) permanently since the coil stopped working.  Turning the knob doesn't do anything but if I place my hand on the glass top, I can feel slight vibration as if the switch is sending signal to the coil.  I'm tempted to replace the coil, but wanted to check here first and see if it could be something else.

Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

7 minutes ago, BillM said:

What did Google come up with?

could be switch or the coil.   Previously with the regular coil stoves, I have always just replaced the coil when it went out and that seems to fix it, but these glasstop seem to be more complex.

Yeah, I'm not sure how serviceable those stoves are. 

Do you have a multimeter? If so, disconnect and check the resistance of the coils. From what I can read you should be seeing 20-40 ohms, infinite resistance would indicate a burned-out coil. 

58 minutes ago, Tom S said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how serviceable those stoves are. 

Do you have a multimeter? If so, disconnect and check the resistance of the coils. From what I can read you should be seeing 20-40 ohms, infinite resistance would indicate a burned-out coil. 

thanks for the reply.  I don't have a multi-meter but will see if I can borrow one.

4 hours ago, BillM said:

What did Google come up with?

Two years ago when they were killing us with hydro rates I decided the flattop stove has to go ( great unit and kept it, never had a problem) and a chest freezer. Got a gas stove and haven’t even noticed the difference in my gas consumption, fast and cheap. 

maybe look into it. I know it’s an expense but I tell you gas you can’t beat it for cooking. Will pay for itself .

Had a Pyrex measuring glass fall from a overhead cupboard and break right thru the glass top revealing the burner element.

Had an extended warranty at Home Depot that informed me I was SOL.

The glass top contained all elements as 1 unit $400, installed myself avoiding the $200 service fee.

Did I mention the stove was 3 months old?