minden and haliburton lakes

mikeh

It's pretty tight and rocky. The water was clear last year when I was there, but there's a current going into horseshoe, so you have to be careful. I can't tell you the depth but I'd say less than 10' probably closer to 6, so trim up as much as you can. I've gone through on someone elses boat but they didn't have an outboard style motor, and never tried with my own yet. There's a bridge you go under, in between the lakes, as your going through, so you could try to scout out the channel from the top of the bridge before attempting it on your boat. From what I understand the water level fluctuates so if you see/know anyone in the area you could ask them if it's up or down. Hope this helps. 

I've run the channel between Mountain and Horseshoe a few times in my tin boat & 20 HP outboard when my mother had a cottage on 12 mile lake.  I don't recall any problem in high water (now) but recall trimming the motor all the way, seeing lots of rocks and my wife freaking out  in low water (late July-September when Trent system draw down lowers the water level).  Usually water is highest just about now and lowest in September but I don't know current conditions as last time I was at my cottage further north on same watershed there was ice on the lake. 

The rock ledge at the exit of Mountain Lake is great because it acts like a natural dam and keeps the water levels from dropping dramatically like so many other lakes on the Trent system. The downside is that it gets incredibly shallow when lake levels do get low. I have been through there on both boards and yaks when you could have walked across the entire channel.