Is Sail getting a little shady?

Raycaster

My wife asked for a new fitbit so I purchased a new one at Sail for $199.

Same cost at Bestbuy and I had a few leftover giftcards so went to the Burlington Sail store.

I was quickly informed at the electronic counter that electronic sales are FINAL.

Didn't foresee a problem so went to cashier where I was informed 2 more times the sale was FINAL.

OK, no problem I thought even though I don't think Bestbuy/Staples adhere to these rules... Anyways.

When my wife opened the gift it was immediately evident this was a "USED" item.

Package taping basically fell off and the packaging was all over the place and the manual was ripped!

My wife said don't worry about it as long as it works and it did.

I wasn't impressed due to the supposed "FINAL" rule that Sail adheres to so I emailed customer service.

Guess what? Daily emails from Sail with their latest SALES but no reply from customer service.

Not really sure what to expect from customer service but some explanation would be nice.

Is it even LEGAL to resell a used/returned item without refurbishing or marking the item a returned etc?

Edited by Raycaster

Returned items are often just put back in the opened box and put back on the shelf by retailers. Canadian Tire is one of the worse doing this, Walmart is another. I got jammed up by CTC when I bought a shallow well pump, changed all the plumbing, installed it and the pump was NFG, they said sorry. If I had to have a plumber do it I would be out 500 bucks. I never buy anything where the box has been opened then taped closed. I would never spend any money on anything where the sale is final unless I know I'm taking a chance at a liquidators and the price is a fraction of what it is. Even then at Channel Control in Brantford items that are greater than 100 bucks and ALL electronics have a 7 day exchange policy. As for the legality I don't practice Law or Medicine so it would be a guess. An honest retailer would mark an item "As Is" I would hope and reflect it in the price.

5 hours ago, chris.brock said:

If all sales are final, how did someone else buy and return that fitbit?

When they said all sales are final, I would have said no thanks, I'll get it somewhere else.

Great point Chris. As for getting anything done via Email, ferged aboud it. My kid brother did a stint in customer service at a national cable TV provider from out west. He would get 100's of emails with complaints each and every morning. If he read each and every email  let alone deal with them the 480 minutes of the day would be over. He said they all went into the trash bin automatically, if the customer was serous about their complaint they would eventually call and choose 1 of the 10 options to get the right people to listen, human to human then of course they tell you that you are in line and the wait will be 25 minutes. They want you to go away and stay go away.

Two decades ago when I worked a future shop all open box items had to be marked and reduced.  Gives the customer a chance to 'take a chance' and save or buy new in box.  I'm shocked that isn't mandatory in retail... 

7 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Returned items are often just put back in the opened box and put back on the shelf by retailers. Canadian Tire is one of the worse doing this, Walmart is another. I got jammed up by CTC when I bought a shallow well pump, changed all the plumbing, installed it and the pump was NFG, they said sorry. If I had to have a plumber do it I would be out 500 bucks. I never buy anything where the box has been opened then taped closed. I would never spend any money on anything where the sale is final unless I know I'm taking a chance at a liquidators and the price is a fraction of what it is. Even then at Channel Control in Brantford items that are greater than 100 bucks and ALL electronics have a 7 day exchange policy. As for the legality I don't practice Law or Medicine so it would be a guess. An honest retailer would mark an item "As Is" I would hope and reflect it in the price.

OI I have bought a full set of golf clubs for $80. One bug hat that was covered/interthiwned  with opened lure  for $2.I had to cut the hat up to get the lures.

last week I missed a 65”  TV for 100.

It does help to know “people” who have dinner at your house lol.

56 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

they would eventually call and choose 1 of the 10 options to get the right people to listen, human to human then of course they tell you that you are in line and the wait will be 25 minutes. They want you to go away and stay go away.

So you are saying that they should tell people to pi$$ off right away instead of hanging on and the telling them to pi$$ off??:lol:

On 2018-05-18 at 10:54 AM, chris.brock said:

If all sales are final, how did someone else buy and return that fitbit?

When they said all sales are final, I would have said no thanks, I'll get it somewhere else.

^^ this. 'final sales' is like playing the lottery unless the price is stupid cheap or it's a hard to find item. Personally I'd go back to the store and be a slight pita, not asking for a refund but letting them know I wasn't too pleased with the transaction.