Smoking Whitefish

jimmer

Just wondering what everyone's favourite recipe for smoking whitefish in a electric smoker is? I would like to do some this weekend.  I had some maple flavoured recently and it was very good.

Thanks, Jimmer

About a gallon of cold water, about a cup of salt, about a cup of sugar (white or brown), mix well.  Put the fillets in the brine skin side UP, and into the fridge for at least 12 hours, but no more than 24.  Take the fillets out of the brine, lay them to dry on paper towel or clean newspaper, for about an hour.  Hit your smoker grills with some PAM or other non-stick spray, lay the fillets skin side down, and smoke for a couple pans of smoke.  Whitie fillets a half-inch thick will need about four hours in MY smoker, yours may vary.

You can add endless extras to your brine (lemon juice, soya sauce, garlic,,,) and you can also dust the fillets with sugar/spices before they go into the smoker.

Doug

PS)  Some folks RINSE their fillets after they take them out of the brine.  I don't.

Edited by akaShag

3 hours ago, akaShag said:

You can add endless extras to your brine (lemon juice, soya sauce, garlic,,,) and you can also dust the fillets with sugar/spices before they go into the smoker.

Doug

PS)  Some folks RINSE their fillets after they take them out of the brine.  I don't.

Yea I never rinse my fish fillets. Just pat them dry and let sit until the pellicle forms, then into the smoker.

Cheers