Advice on Horn Lake (Burks Falls Area)

Reef Runner

Good day all,

The long weekend upon us, I have been invited to cottage on the North end of Horn Lake (Burks Falls Area - near Ahmic Lake).

Been doing a little internet research and note the lake has a population of Perch, Smallmouth, Lake Trout and Whitefish.  Smallmouth are out of the equation as they will be OOS.

I'll be low tech, fishing from a yak no electronics besides the Navionics app.

Can anyone advise info on surface temps?

Practically I'll be targeting perch with worms in the warmest bays, but wouldn't mind trying my stick at lakers or whitefish (maybe a tall task with no sonar but I'll give it a shot).

Going in "blind" so-to-say, how would you approach targeting lakers and whitefish this time of year.

Please feel free to PM.  Anyone who's asked me of info the past can attest that I share my knowledge with members via PM and I'm a vault when it comes to specifics unless I'm the first-hand experiencer.

Many thanks in advance,

Reef

I would try trolling small crankbaits or spoons in 25' or less with deeper water close by for lakers. Switch to jigs and twisters if you locate some fish.

Perch on worms is always a relaxing day though.

Thanks fellas.

Akri, from what I've read online there are no confirmed pike in the lake. Otherwise I'd be bombing those warm bays long casts on a twitch and stop retrieve.

Jimmer, that's what I'm looking for bud.  Just general techniques - never fished for lakers this early in the season especially out of a yak with no electronics.  My feeling is they'll still be in the upper 25-30 feet water column.

Was also thinking of trying a 3 way rig, heavy bell sinker on the bottom and a stick or crankbait running 4-6foot back. 

Regardless, after a long winter and spring of not getting on the water much I'm actually looking forward to perching; love a good perch taco feed. Makes good competition between me and the GF too (even though im mostly baiting and takin' em off the hook).

Keep em coming boys.  Old school early season laker and whitie techniques welcome - before the time we could see them on our fancy gadgets lol.

Reef.

Edited by Reef Runner

45 minutes ago, Reef Runner said:

Akri, from what I've read online there are no confirmed pike in the lake. Otherwise I'd be bombing those warm bays long casts on a twitch and stop retrieve.

my mind is blown

ive done some fishing in that area and every single lake I fished ahmic, and including smaller ones like doe,  and rainy and they all had pike so weird that somehow they never got into that lake. 

Thats actually pretty wild.

Thanks Bill. I'll put some Williams' and Mepps syclops in the bag o' tricks.  Seems like the consensus is they'll still be up shallow.

I thought the same Akri, weird there's pike all around but this one.  Just lookin' out for other species besides perchin.

Think I would get 3/8 and 1/2 ball heads and fat white grubs. I would defiantly cast a bit on points.

If I could line up any humps strait across from this point to tip of island sort of  thing. Then cast behind Yak then paddle bit

and coasts a bit so the grub is swimming up and swimming down across target.

Worked in 12 ft tinner 40 years ago.  

Be interesting to know if thats the same Horn lake Paul. Most lakes up there are stained. That looks very clear for that lake. And yes, I have fished it. If anyone remembers my video, I could not see my flippers 2ft from the surface.

Edited by misfish

12 minutes ago, misfish said:

Be interesting to know if thats the same Horn lake Paul. Most lakes up there are stained. That looks very clear for that lake. And yes, I have fished it. If anyone remembers my video, I could not see my flippers 2ft from the surface.

Brian, from the video description, " This is a video of Jeff and Nick scuba diving at the cliffs on Horn Lake in Burk's Falls Ontario. This is a 5 minute boat ride from Birch Crest Resort. "

Not being very familiar with the area I can only assume it is the same lake?

Its same lake. Horn is a very clear oligotrophic lake. Lakes in the area have only been ice free for the last week or so. You could expect temps in the 45-55 range... I would check fishing regs as I know there are special conditions for lake trout but cant remember of the top of my head. Assuming you can target lakers many people long line for them this time of year (ice out) until the water warms... It might be getting a little late for that by the weekend but its worth a shot. Whitefish will be shallow as well and will some times smack a small minnow bait... Be safe if your in a yak. First long weekend of the year so lots of dummies trying out their boats for first time and the water is extremely cold. Have fun!

1 hour ago, LesCulpJr said:

Its same lake. Horn is a very clear oligotrophic lake. Lakes in the area have only been ice free for the last week or so. You could expect temps in the 45-55 range... I would check fishing regs as I know there are special conditions for lake trout but cant remember of the top of my head. Assuming you can target lakers many people long line for them this time of year (ice out) until the water warms... It might be getting a little late for that by the weekend but its worth a shot. Whitefish will be shallow as well and will some times smack a small minnow bait... Be safe if your in a yak. First long weekend of the year so lots of dummies trying out their boats for first time and the water is extremely cold. Have fun!

Hey long time Les.

I went in June, back road cache spot. Im sure you know where ? That section was, was dark as night.

Hi Bri. :) Just thought Id stop by :) For some reason I started getting email notifications when you post on certain threads here. lol.... Could be a dark bay out there but I think we might be talking about different lakes. On a good day you can see old saw logs on the bottom clear as day in about 15 fow. Algae blooms, pollen and particulate from waves and/or run off might be a factor too.:)

4 minutes ago, LesCulpJr said:

Hi Bri. :) Just thought Id stop by :) For some reason I started getting email notifications when you post on certain threads here. lol.... Could be a dark bay out there but I think we might be talking about different lakes. On a good day you can see old saw logs on the bottom clear as day in about 15 fow. Algae blooms, pollen and particulate from waves and/or run off might be a factor too.:)

LOL Ya thats been happening here.

Horn lake is made of 5 lakes is it not? Thats the word I was given. They flooded all 5 lakes for logging. And yes, there are alot of under water logs.

PM sent

Edited by misfish

48 minutes ago, LesCulpJr said:

Nope definately different lake. than what they are talking about here. I know which you are referring to and yes the water is near black its so dark.

Now I need to go and look at this other lake. Sorry byes for the mix up. Did not know there were 2 of them so close together.

Horn Lake is located north of Burk's Falls on the west side of Hwy. 11 in Parry Sound District

co-ordinates: Lat. 45° 40'  Long. 79° 30'

the lake has an irregular shoreline offering a number of bays some of which offer shallow weedy cover while others are deeper and have quick dropoffs at the points

the perimeter of the lake is 22 km (13.8 miles)

while the lake reaches depths of 114', the average depth is 38'

there are a number of inflowing streams. Water exits the lake on the north side via Sollman Creek

a public boat launch is located at the end of South Horn Lake Road

major fish species include smallmouth bass, lake trout whitefish and perch

Horn Lake is located in Fisheries Management Zone 15