Buying and older boat

mistaredone

So I’m going to sell my 90’s 16’ bass boat and get something a little bigger. I’ve been really lucky with the 90hp 02 merc that’s on my boat and never had to do any repairs on it. The boat I’m looking at has a 200hp 04 evenrude on it and I’m sure regardless of the compression results that one day I’ll have to sink some money into it. What I’m wondering is what are the ball park repair bills like on a old large motor like this in best and worst case?

I have asked your question on iboats taking some literary licence, I said you were a buddy, you are really. I also said it runs well otherwise I would get a few pages of the basics of what to look for on any outboard, I'm sure you have that covered as this isn't your 1st rodeo. If anyone knows about that era Evinrude they will. I'll need to copy the link and you can keep an eye on it. I said it was a 2000 but edited it. A 14 year old outboard isn't old at all for a Marine engine, not at all. My 95' Mariners, a 15 and a 115 HP 2 strokes have only seen preventive maintenance, never had an issue, now watch, I just jinxed myself. The previous owner did have to change out the stator on the 115 years ago. I really don't see why you would need to sink any money into it if she has been maintained well and it runs well now with good compression across the board. Running it under load is better than just on the garden hose. If you can take it out on the water is best. Also check the lower end gear lube for milky oil, that's a sign there is a water leak, not good, also I would have the owner change the gear lube and check for metal shavings in it. The best is to have a qualified Marine Mechanic to check it out. How much is the owner asking for it?

Here's the post I made for you on iboats.com. The best boating forum on the entire planet. I highly recommend anyone with a boat join. You don't have to be a member to view the threads.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/johnson-evinrude-outboards/10570992-buddy-is-looking-at-a-2000-200-hp-2-stroke-evinrude-has-a-question

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks for the reply’s guys. Looked at it today and seemed a little to risky for me. The boat Just came up from US, motor had a miss match bottom and top end yada yada just didn’t feel right.  Looking at a clean looking 2010 boat now with a 150, under 100hrs and looks really well taken care of. I should know Tuesday if I can make a deal. 

Good luck shopping. Check out the "sticky" at the top of the page on the boat forum discussion on iboats.com. It is a great list for what to look for on any used boat. Hours on a boat doesn't mean much to me. It could be hours run at wide out throttle towing tubes and skiers or hours just putting around or trolling. If the boat sits idle and the key is on for accessories like a radio or sonar it will log hours. Hours doesn't tell you much really.