Doral 2003 192

FLEX ROD

Hi folks, a friend of mine is selling his 2003 Doral 192BR , it comes with a Meltrail trailer and spare tire a Bimini top swim ladder used 3 to 4 times a summer full records shrinked wrapped and stored at the marina.

Not sure if it is a 3.7 or 3.9 Volvo, the boat looks like it is mint, I am in the market for a boat what do you think the boat is worth?

He told me that the marina was offering him around 12k, what would be a fair price, I need to get back to give him an answer quickly.

Thanks for any info that you can provide.

FLEX

Even if it is mint, age still comes into play, it is 15 years old after all. Can he share the marina quote with you to prove it?

Is the skeg in mint condition? If not that is a big red flag.

I searched the web and could not find one for sale but maybe search for similar boats to figure out if it is a good deal. 

Another make but similar and at a higher price. Click here

not sure but I don't think the motor is a volvo, only the outdrive . the motor is probably a ford or gm. as far as the value I think the 12k is a fair price, do you know the hours on it. 

Thank you for the reply, the skeg looks to be perfect and as far as the hours he is not sure but he said its between 100 to 150 so low hours for the age.

Any other feed back welcomed and appreciated.

FLEX

Doral was a Canadian builder of fibreglass sport boats and cruisers. Originally all boats came from a single factory in Grand Mere, Quebec. In 2002 production of sport boats and Doral's Thunder Craft-branded models moved to a second plant in Midland, Ontario. The 2003 bowrider you ask about would have been built in Midland.

The standard engine in this boat was a 135 hp, 3.0L four cylinder MerCruiser sterndrive, with a 190 hp, 4.3L V6 MerCruiser available as an upgrade. Volvo Penta never made either a 3.7L or 3.9L gas engine, here in North America they also sold 3.0L and 4.3L sterndrives. The 4.3L was made by GM for both Mercury and Volvo. I'm not sure who manufactured the 3.0L block.

Doral has been in bankruptcy three times - in 2012, 2008 and 1992. Build quality of the boats has been notoriously inconsistent over the years ... some boats are very well made, some not so much. The cruisers, which were all made in Quebec, tended to be more consistent and are generally pretty good.

I'd strongly suggest you hire a marine surveyor and pay them a couple of bucks to check this boat out for you. As far as a fair price goes, talk to the surveyor because it all comes down to condition. $12k is middle of the range value ... it could be worth a good bit more or less depending on what kind of shape it's in.  Original cost in 2003 would have ranged from between $22k and $30k depending on engine and other options. Today, $8k to maybe $18k is about right.

Edited by craigdritchie

Join the iboats.com forum. Over 50,000 members world wide. Ask there, you will get many informed opinions, I guarantee it. There is a sticky on the top of the Boat Topics and Questions page for what to look for in a used boat, invaluable information. A 2002 boat is not considered old. Older but not old.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Also Flex check out NADA. It is the Blue Book for boats in the USA. You fill out the questionnaire that will list all the options on a boat and it will calculate the going price. Of course prices will vary based on location. A boat used in Ontario will be worth more than a boat in Florida. They can boat 365 days a year can't. It does list some Canadian brand boats, hopefully Doral.

From what I have learned on iboats a 3.0 is underpowered for a heavy 19' glasser. And yes I totally agree Mr. Ritchie knows his stuff.

Flex I just did a quick check and NADA does list Doral for 2003, at least a dozen different models.

I just did a very quick survey on Nada for the 19' BR with the 3.0 L (because I don't want to paint baseboards and caseing today) not knowing what options that boat has and it came back between $7300.00 and $8300.00 USD. So depending on options and condition  11 grand to me is about the fair price. Boat was about 25K US new. I bet if you found a comparable new boat today it's around 50K CDN.

Edited by Old Ironmaker