Canoe Motor Mount

Hi guys.  Looking at different styles of building a motor mount for an electric trolling motor for canoe.  Here's the style I'm looking for, but now wondering if with the thrust of the motor, wouldn't the mount just pop forward and off?  Sure I can tighten significantly, but isn't that always a risk when setting up inside the gunwales? Has anyone tried this style setup and can give some feedback about it?

Thanks

Old-Town-motor-mount-2.jpg

If you're worried, just put some dowels or bolts through the top piece that will sit out side of the gunwales.  You may need to loosen the bolts a little more to get it on; but it won't be sliding forward one once it's tightened up.

Pickerel Hunter > I built one out of oak, just like the one in your picture, and have had no problems like you are concerned about. There is a little twisting at full speed, but like BillM says, it just wedges it in. I don't use a motor often, but it's great to have it available, should the occasion call for it. I had an extra long cable put on the Minn Kota so the battery could sit up near the bow.... Good Luck with the test!

Thanks to everyone for their insight and comments.  Here's what I ended up with, worked like a charm.  Didn't go full speed on it as had no need but went up to 3 of 5.  

Having the hand knobs to tighten made it much easier than playing around with a wrench/socket.  Might add strips of rubber where the two pieces of wood clamp down on the gunwhale for added support.

Even got into some brookies!

IMG_1428.JPG

54777109922__7E8B1C32-1488-4A30-BE7F-98BD06A1BBE9.JPG