What can you do? Poaching in front of the OPP

10 hours ago, BillM said:

I was fishing out in Gbay when I got pulled over by the OPP, I told him what I was fishing for and he said they were out of season.  I had to bring up the regs and show him that the possession season was over, but I was still legally allowed to fish for them until the end of the month.  

OK Bill you have to explain this one to me.

First off there is no such thing as a possession season that I know of.

There are daily catch & possession limits.

Daily catch limits have seasons but possession limits do not.

Do you mean the season was open with a 0 daily catch limit?

Catch limits are fish allowed to be caught & retained daily.

Possession limits apply to fish you have on hand or in storage, in transit or anywhere. No season on possession limits. But if caught when a daily catch limit is zero you can not retain them as part of your possession limit.

Here is one  trout is open but you can't keep any

Only one line may be used when angling through the ice.
Lake Trout open from Jan. 1 - Sept. 30.
Lake Trout S – 0 and C – 0 from Jan.1 – Feb. 7, Apr. 1 – June 23 & Sept. 1 – Sept. 30.
Lake Trout S – 1 and C – 1, must be less than 61 cm (24 in.)

And muskie with a C license

Woodsman, FMZ14 look in the exceptions for Parry Sound...   lake trout regs (Terry posted it above)..     Perhaps I explained it with words that were confusing?    Should have used daily catch limits instead of possession I guess :)   Not like I keep those buggers anyhow, lol.

Edited by BillM

I remember the first time we went fishing for lakers in parry sound and the old man and i were lost with the regs...I had never seen anything like it either.

Literally some of the tightest regs in the entire book. The "no fish" border on the imaginary line across the bay. The 0 possession limit and the size restriction during the keeping months...you gotta have the regs totally on lock if you want to fish there.

Edited by AKRISONER

There are fish sanctuaries out here on Erie at the east end of the lake and in Long Point I am familiar with. If you go by the regs. you had better know each and every county road, residential road and landmark and have a very good GPS to know when you are in them. Ridiculous if you ask me. Example, 200 meters SW from the old Marina at Butter Rd. to 400 meters due south from the Old Billingsly Farm which has the Red Barn with the green Cockatoo wind vane on it, in a direct line NE of the Conservation Area next to the Golf Course.

OK I'm making it up but it doesn't sound that far fetched.

Forgot to report a fishing morning on The Grand south of the Dunnville Dam. Nothing to report, got skunked, plenty of pictures of no fish, see below.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

On 2018-05-11 at 5:36 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

There are fish sanctuaries out here on Erie at the east end of the lake and in Long Point I am familiar with. If you go by the regs. you had better know each and every county road, residential road and landmark and have a very good GPS to know when you are in them. Ridiculous if you ask me. Example, 200 meters SW from the old Marina at Butter Rd. to 400 meters due south from the Old Billingsly Farm which has the Red Barn with the green Cockatoo wind vane on it, in a direct line NE of the Conservation Area next to the Golf Course.

OK I'm making it up but it doesn't sound that far fetched.

Forgot to report a fishing morning on The Grand south of the Dunnville Dam. Nothing to report, got skunked, plenty of pictures of no fish, see below.

The bass sanctuaries out of Port Colborne are just as bad. :wallbash:

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

The bass sanctuaries out of Port Colborne are just as bad. :wallbash:

Actually Dave that is exactly the area I was thinking about, the explanation of the boundaries are absolutely ridiculous. At least the Bass sanctuary in Long Point Bay are marked with buoys.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

46 minutes ago, Mister G said:

Do you think bass  sanctuaries  are necessary in Lake Erie. NYS bass fishing is as good if not better and they have early bass seasons.

They aren't necessary here I my opinion. They know something in NY we don't I guess.

1 hour ago, Mister G said:

Do you think bass  sanctuaries  are necessary in Lake Erie. NYS bass fishing is as good if not better and they have early bass seasons.

thats just the structure available, has nothing to do with the regs.

I can assure you that allowing the bass to spawn basically undisturbed has a positive effect on bass populations.

Go fish a heavily pressured lake like the kawarthas and then take a trip to the north eastern side of georgian bay where the smallmouth population is virtually undisturbed all year aside from a couple of anglers...People think their fishing is good on their respective lake, they have no bloody idea.

ive been lucky enough to fish a lot of lakes from BC, to manitoba to ontario all the way down to alabama...The best fishing is always where the least people are. Theres a balance for sure though, colder water means slower growing fish...there is definitely a sweet spot though.

Edited by AKRISONER

55 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Actually Dave that is exactly the area I was thinking about, the explanation of the boundaries are absolutely ridiculous. At least the Bass sanctuary in Long Point Bay are marked with buoys.

The Port Boundaries , to my knowledge are unchanged in over 50 years since dad would take me and rent a 16 foot cedar strip from Ray's Boat Livery for 50 cents a hour or 3 bucks for the day, he would put his green 5 1/2 horse Johnson on the back and we would put out to the foghorn or if he was real adventurous the pilot boat buoy and troll for Yellow Pickeral. The locals should  have a pretty good handle on the boundaries by now. 6 pounders are more common now than 4's back then.

On 5/11/2018 at 4:33 PM, BillM said:

Yup, and the lighthouse isn't where the boundary starts, lol.   I wonder how many people they nail that think it is.

you ever drive through there with the electronics on? i think the fish know where the boundary is too lol

I always wondered how NY State Smallmouth knew when they crossed the border and became Ontario Smallmouth. Getting nesting Bass to bite isn't as easy as it sounds. From watching the Smallies on their nests from the deck they will feed late in the day and then and only then do they leave the beds.

1 minute ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I always wondered how NY State Smallmouth knew when they crossed the border and became Ontario Smallmouth. Getting nesting Bass to bite isn't as easy as it sounds. From watching the Smallies on their nests from the deck they will feed late in the day and then and only then do they leave the beds.

you gotta piss em off enough, just like a river run salmon, its not that they are eating, its that youve made them mad enough to lash out lol

Going back to the original post, is it confirmed that ALL O.P>p officers can enforce MNR regulations? I was under the impression that it was only the marine units that could enforce SOME of the regs. Like, mostly the safe boating regs. Anytime I have ever read anything to do with poaching, it always seems to be handled by a CO. I have seen CO's work with the marine units as well but I have never heard of a traffic cop providing a citation for an MNR regulation.

I have been looking when I have a bit of time to see if I can find anything that supports the OPP officers enforcing the regs and I haven't found anything yet.

3 hours ago, Lape0019 said:

Going back to the original post, is it confirmed that ALL O.P>p officers can enforce MNR regulations? I was under the impression that it was only the marine units that could enforce SOME of the regs. Like, mostly the safe boating regs. Anytime I have ever read anything to do with poaching, it always seems to be handled by a CO. I have seen CO's work with the marine units as well but I have never heard of a traffic cop providing a citation for an MNR regulation.

I have been looking when I have a bit of time to see if I can find anything that supports the OPP officers enforcing the regs and I haven't found anything yet.

BINGO.  It depends on the OPP contract with each municipality.  Not all OPP are required or trained to enforce hunting and fishing violations which is why they often work in tandem with the OMNR&F officers.  That said, it's far easier for the OFC community in general to toss these folks under the bus an ask questions later so let's not let facts get in the way of a perfectly good lynch mob.  

8 minutes ago, G.mech said:

BINGO.  It depends on the OPP contract with each municipality.  Not all OPP are required or trained to enforce hunting and fishing violations which is why they often work in tandem with the OMNR&F officers.  That said, it's far easier for the OFC community in general to toss these folks under the bus an ask questions later so let's not let facts get in the way of a perfectly good lynch mob.  

If that's the case, the grumpy officer could have politely explained that instead of just giving OI a smart azz reply.

Still a poor job on her part IMO.

When I in the Port Rowan / Long Point area in the 70's the RCMP did a lot of the Migratory Game Bird Enforcement, they were obviously well trained in waterfowl identification, the regulations and had waders, boats , really well equipped for the task . On occasion they would even roadblock the causeway and pull over any hunters for a vehicle search during duck season. 

14 hours ago, chris.brock said:

If that's the case, the grumpy officer could have politely explained that instead of just giving OI a smart azz reply.

Still a poor job on her part IMO.

And OI could have called the TIPS line .....same outcome anyway; they can't react effectively either.  

Edited by G.mech

2 hours ago, G.mech said:

.same outcome anyway; they can't react effectively either.  

she could have reacted effectively even if she can't enforce fish stuff, she could have talked to the poacher and threatened to call a CO, I bet those bass would have ended up released, instead she just grabbed a coffee and went cruising, doing nothing, accomplishing nothing except pissing off OI

15 hours ago, Lape0019 said:

Here's your answer found in the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act.

Section

87 (1) The Minister may appoint a person or class of persons as conservation officers for the purposes of this Act. 1997, c. 41, s. 87 (1).

Same

(2) The following persons are conservation officers for the purposes of this Act by virtue of their office:

1. A police officer or First Nations Constable appointed under the Police Services Act.

2 hours ago, Woodsman said:

Here's your answer found in the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act.

Section

87 (1) The Minister may appoint a person or class of persons as conservation officers for the purposes of this Act. 1997, c. 41, s. 87 (1).

Same

(2) The following persons are conservation officers for the purposes of this Act by virtue of their office:

1. A police officer or First Nations Constable appointed under the Police Services Act.

The laws for fishing are actually under the Fisheries Act and the regulation under that act called The Ontario Fisheries Regulations. 

Fish and Wildlife Act is more for hunting and just fishing licenses. The Ontario Fisheries Regulations is where you find over limit, OOS, sanctuaries, etc.