Rope Lure for gar

smitty55

OK Guys it's time to put this debate to bed. It is ILLEGAL to use rope lures to fish for Gar. I just had a good conversation with the MNR in Kemptville and after speaking about it with senior members it was confirmed Gar MUST be fished for with traditional angling methods of a line and hook as they are NOT listed on page 11 as fish that can be captured by non angling methods. Even attaching a frayed rope to a jig like I've seen posted could well result in a fine as it is fairly obvious that it is actually the rope that is catching the fish, but that could be a subjective call on the part of the CO. So just don't take the chance, use a lure or live bait and save yourself from potential hassles.
Also I was reminded that Spotted Gar are listed as an endangered species and must be released immediately, so make sure you can tell the difference.
Cheers

4 minutes ago, BillM said:

I didn't know there was even a debate, lol.    Some rope and a steel leader with a hook on the end will have you legal.  

Bill many folks just use a frayed rope with no hook so the gar's teeth get caught up in the rope thinking that it is a legal method, which it is not.

Cheers

I've seen a few TV fishing shows and read lots of articles in magazines written by some reputable anglers where they've used this method....surprised they were never called on it.   I never really knew there was a rule about or a debate either I guess.  

1 hour ago, G.mech said:

I've seen a few TV fishing shows and read lots of articles in magazines written by some reputable anglers where they've used this method....surprised they were never called on it.   I never really knew there was a rule about or a debate either I guess.  

From Ontario?  If not, it may have been legal in their location.

2 hours ago, John Bacon said:

From Ontario?  If not, it may have been legal in their location.

Yes....but I'm not posting links.  Google it and you'll see lots!

Edited by G.mech

Think this may have been a 613 Fishing topic that arrived here.  Funny but I have a couple made up from 2009 when first getting into gar fishing, but they've never once been used.  Did not know it was illegal though, so good looking out Smitty.  Nice to have answers.

Looking at the quotes from the regulations summary (see below).  The rope lure would seem to fit the definition of angling rather than 'non-angling methods'.  According to the regulations, angling require a line; it doesn't mention hook.

Non-angling methods of capturing fish include: dip nets, seine nets, spears, and bow & arrow.  The rope lure certainly doesn't fit any of those.

Based on what I see on the summary of regulations, I would interpret the rope lure as 'angling' rather than a 'non-angling method of capturing fish'

As per the regulations summary:

Angling – Angling means fishing with a line that is held in the hand or attached to a rod that is held in the hand or closely attended.

Residents and non-Canadian residents with a valid recreational fishing licence may fish with one dip net, one seine net, one spear or a bow and arrow for the species and during the periods outlined below.

• Dip nets may be no more than 183 cm (6 ft.) on each side if square, or 183 cm (6 ft.) in diameter, if circular.
  • Seine nets may be no more than 10 m (32.8 ft.) long and 2 m (6.5 ft.) high.
  • Spears cannot be possessed on or within 30 m (98 ft.) of the edge of any waterbody except when fishing for carp and white sucker as described on this page. Northern Pike spearing is not allowed.
  • Bow and arrow: includes all longbows. Longbows are considered a firearm under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act.