Thinking of getting a 'pin

Dutch01

So I'm thinking of getting a centerpin, but I'm broke (because of fishing I might add lol). I can get a good deal ($160) on a new Okuma Aventa.

I know there are better reels, but they're likely not in the budget. I'm just curious if anyone who has used the Aventa can give me some feedback.

Thanks for the suggestion. I know I could get more for my money used, but I am also wary of people offloading their problems on Kijiji.

My problem with used is buyer beware, at least new if I have a problem I have someone to complain to.

Centerpins are extremely simple reels.  If it spins, it's fine.    There probably isn't a less complicated reel out there.   

Check out floatfishing.net.  Make a post in the classifieds, you'll find something.  There's also a few local groups on Facebook as well where people are always unloading gear.

Edited by BillM

2 hours ago, BillM said:

Centerpins are extremely simple reels.  If it spins, it's fine.    There probably isn't a less complicated reel out there.   

Yes, but if you do not know what to look for , then I would say he will do fine with the new one. If he drops it, he has only himself to blame, not the guy he bought it off of. Im not saying all sellers are rip offs, but why chance it. JMO

19 minutes ago, misfish said:

Yes, but if you do not know what to look for , then I would say he will do fine with the new one. If he drops it, he has only himself to blame, not the guy he bought it off of. Im not saying all sellers are rip offs, but why chance it. JMO

Coming from a guy whos fishing gear is almost 100% used...ive had a lot more positive experiences than bad buying used...obviously ive had a couple of issues, but they were nothing that a service didnt fix.

How in the hell am i supposed to afford the 1000's of dollars i have spent on gear if I was buying new!

i simply cant afford the $600+ it costs to get a set up these days. Dont even get me started on fly fishing...some resident board members have helped me out immensely...Ill tell you right now buying a new Winston Fly rod is a friggin pipe dream for a kid in their 20's. Luckily i somehow manage to own one...im thankful to this day to the guys that have helped me out.

Edited by AKRISONER

I get it AK.

He,s talking $160. That is a great deal for new.  And it,s not going to break the bank. I started out low end pin then worked my way up. All but 2 of the 5 were used, Starting out.  The slightest wobble or even a nick on the spool is very annoying. Thats why I say for him to buy new is best.

when I had a pin I had one of those and then switched up to the Okuma Raw II.  I got it new (the Raw 2) at Sail for $189.99 plus tax.  I told them "Gagon's across the road is $189 so if you can match that I'll get it here vs going back over there" and they did without question. 

14 minutes ago, GBW said:

when I had a pin I had one of those and then switched up to the Okuma Raw II.  I got it new (the Raw 2) at Sail for $189.99 plus tax.  I told them "Gagon's across the road is $189 so if you can match that I'll get it here vs going back over there" and they did without question. 

Hey G

I have the 2nd one brought up here and still going strong. Have you seen the price of them now? LOL

39 minutes ago, misfish said:

Hey G

I have the 2nd one brought up here and still going strong. Have you seen the price of them now? LOL

Naw B, When I sold my float gear I haven't looked since.  I know I got my Aventa for $100 or so back then

Edited by GBW

Dutch, have you checked out any of the Streamside float reels?  I had a rod they made and was very happy.  They have 3 float reels I think and are decent price points.  

If buying used and some one offers you a Grice and Young Avon Royal Supreme RUN as fast as you can, Started with one in the early 80's, total piece of crap, the stuff today for under $200 is a hundred times better. An old knurled rim , clickerless, non anodized Stanton is still a favourite of mine an should be under 2 bills still but the bare aluminum will leave your hands black by the end of the day .

Thanks for all the advice guys. I know lots of guys who have had good luck buying used, it's just not my thing.

I decided to grab the Aventa, $160 is a decent deal and if I don't like the feel of it when I get it in my hands I'll send it back.

Now I just need a rod..... 

Edited by Dutch01

4 hours ago, GBW said:

Dutch, have you checked out any of the Streamside float reels?  I had a rod they made and was very happy.  They have 3 float reels I think and are decent price points.  

I'll look into their rods, thx

17 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I simply cant afford the $600+ it costs to get a set up these days. Dont even get me started on fly fishing...some resident board members have helped me out immensely...Ill tell you right now buying a new Winston Fly rod is a friggin pipe dream for a kid in their 20's. Luckily i somehow manage to own one...im thankful to this day to the guys that have helped me out.

Overpriced soul-less graphite fairy wand.. gumble grumble. Marketing and sales hype on fly fishing equipment is ridiculous, and it become such a 'look at me with my latest rod' game. Benefits the guy who likes used equipment though, as we get the 1-year old cast-offs for a great price.

10 minutes ago, GBW said:

True.  Gagnon's sell's Streamside so you can hold it before you buy. 

Awesome, thanks. My buddy has the Aventa so I was able to check his out before I ordered online. A rod is different though, I wouldn't want one shipped. 

3 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

Awesome, thanks. My buddy has the Aventa so I was able to check his out before I ordered online. A rod is different though, I wouldn't want one shipped. 

Hence the reason I posted ASAP after seeing this still going on, cheers