drywall and taping cost $$$

mikeh

does anybody know the cost to drywall and tape a house/cottage. we are looking at a work in progress cottage and it needs drywall,on the ceiling and walls (big job)thanks

Edited by mikeh

In my experience here in a rural area the cost would be reflective of the competition , if there is anyone that does it in the area. I am absolutely frustrated trying to get anyone qualified from basic framing, hanging gypboard, taping, and minor electrical, plumbing etc where we are, a basic handyman. We are doing a reno. I can't ask my friends as we are all in the same boat, or should I say physical therapist tables. The good ones are booked solid, the jobs are too big or too small or the guy's fully retired and the ones available can't read a tape measure and or don't have a body of work to get references from. The good guys that are semi-retired or even full time can drive to Hamilton/Niagara and write there own ticket as there is so much work today. I never begrudge a person demanding fair wages, people always want what they are worth but when it comes to homeowners some feel they can get someone good for 1/2 or 1/3 the trades going rate. There just isn't anyone around here to choose from. We only have a handful of building supply businesses and I have asked each and everyone of them to recommend someone and they just scratch their heads. I finally found someone that seems to be worth working with and paying well and he is booked solid until mid July. Be careful if you find someone readily available, there is a reason they aren't already on the job. I wish I could be more help, good luck.

Johnny D.

Hate to bring it up now, but look who is featured in this months feature article.....My only other advice is, you get what you pay for! Try to avoid handymen as well, would you let a guy who dabbles in medicine do heart surgery on you? There are many nuances that a hack would not know, proper vapor barrier is one that the crappy guys often get wrong and it causes mold and drafts, bad electrical can cause a fire, bad plumbing can cause a flood. Especially if you cant stay and be on top of the trades, get a good guy as you will need to trust him.

http://torontostoreys.com/

3 hours ago, Shloim said:

Hate to bring it up now, but look who is featured in this months feature article.....My only other advice is, you get what you pay for! Try to avoid handymen as well, would you let a guy who dabbles in medicine do heart surgery on you? There are many nuances that a hack would not know, proper vapor barrier is one that the crappy guys often get wrong and it causes mold and drafts, bad electrical can cause a fire, bad plumbing can cause a flood. Especially if you cant stay and be on top of the trades, get a good guy as you will need to trust him.

http://torontostoreys.com/

Don't sell a good handyman short Huzz. Many are semi-retired builders or tradesmen that have forgotten more than some  tradesman have learned. There is nothing more dangerous than someone with a little bit of knowledge. No I wouldn't want a family MD to do heart surgery on me but I don't need to pay a Mennonite custom cabinet craftsman to hang and tape a sheet of drywall either. I would never wire a home, but I can wire a outlet and be confident that a fire won't result. It ain't rocket science. As for plumbing water runs downhill at 1/4" drop per foot if vented by code. Like I said it ain't rocket science but building is a science. The very first nail I drove on my very first home on my very first project I drove than nail right into a water line. I never lived in a place that I didn't know exactly where the shut off valves were after that fiasco. If they weren't there the first thing I did was to install them. Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is knowing not repeat them.

For hanging and taping not a bad price. It was around a buck a board foot I paid guys 10 years ago, during the recession. The closer one gets to T.O. the higher the prices, for anything. It also depends how much drywall you want done, a few walls or an entire house. The charge for anything above 8' the price will be higher. Additional charges for ceilings and another price for vaulted ceilings.