Amnesia mono

cuzza

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get some in the west end of the GTA?

Sail don't carry it, nor do CT and everything online is in the states and $10 shipping for a $5 spool :wallbash:

Cheers

Richard

I tried to get that stuff 30 plus years ago unsuccessfully, was going to use it as shooting line on a Hi Density 30 foot shooting head fly line , ended up using 100 feet of 20 pound Maxima, it worked fine. 

edit: you would not believe how effective a 280/300 grain head with a short leader and a black Wooly Bugger is at dragging smallies off the bottom in 10 to 20 feet of water, just saying :D

Edited by dave524

Thanks Dave, looking for some to try as part of a nymphing leader setup - I like how easy it is to get it to straighten out. I have some blue Stren I can use for now and I'll keep an eye out.

Love fishing shooting heads, not delicate but easy to cast - have them as options on my 6wt and 8wt B) I use the coated running line as it's a bit easier to manage when you've got line all round your feet :rolleyes:

Hey Bill, I go south of the border a lot for work so normally grab stuff but I couldn't even find any in Texas. I haven't tried the services like CrossBorderPickups, will look into it - thanks!

On 5/7/2018 at 4:27 PM, dave524 said:

I tried to get that stuff 30 plus years ago unsuccessfully, was going to use it as shooting line on a Hi Density 30 foot shooting head fly line , ended up using 100 feet of 20 pound Maxima, it worked fine. 

edit: you would not believe how effective a 280/300 grain head with a short leader and a black Wooly Bugger is at dragging smallies off the bottom in 10 to 20 feet of water, just saying :D

On 5/8/2018 at 8:55 AM, cuzza said:

Thanks Dave, looking for some to try as part of a nymphing leader setup - I like how easy it is to get it to straighten out. I have some blue Stren I can use for now and I'll keep an eye out.

Love fishing shooting heads, not delicate but easy to cast - have them as options on my 6wt and 8wt B) I use the coated running line as it's a bit easier to manage when you've got line all round your feet :rolleyes:

I have tried to read between the lines here, but dont get it. You guys have my brain cells buzzing here. Please share more . 

12 hours ago, misfish said:

I have tried to read between the lines here, but dont get it. You guys have my brain cells buzzing here. Please share more . 

I prefer the shooting head concept when fishing sinking flylines, I found this that seems to be a pretty good primer on the technique. Basically it is a weight forward line with the level running line behind the 30 foot head replaced with a heavy mono.  

https://www.fishing.net.nz/fishing-advice/how-to/tips-for-using-a-shooting-head/

Sums it up perfectly :good:

I'm playing around with the single hand Skagit lines at the moment which are super short shooting heads (the 6wt one is 13.5ft but you need a tip on top of that), easy to get good distance with no back-cast, great for big streamers/mice

31 minutes ago, cuzza said:

Sums it up perfectly :good:

I'm playing around with the single hand Skagit lines at the moment which are super short shooting heads (the 6wt one is 13.5ft but you need a tip on top of that), easy to get good distance with no back-cast, great for big streamers/mice

I starting playing with this back in the late 70's, yes shorter and fatter gets deeper faster than the more traditional 30 foot head. When building a head I always bought heavier line than the rod was rated , would cut it after a test casting where I felt the rod was optimally loaded.  Never got into the spey thing.