Best $20 I spent, let the smoking begin

misfish

This came up in a classified ad.  I could not, pass on it. 

Now to  :Gonefishing: some whities next weekend and looking forward to some fall smoked salmon and steel head.:clapping:

It,s an older model, top load.

KTIZK5x.jpg

If anyone has a dry smoke cure, I would like to hear from you. Im not a moist smoked fish guy. More of a jerky eater. 

59 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Lightly cover fillets with pickling salt in a glass pan, rinse next morning, light coating of brown sugar or baste with maple syrup,  into the smoker for the required time. 

Want to stay away from the sweet. I would prefer a  black peppery taste..

Doing the you tube search, I could not find where it says how many times I should fill the wood chip pan. I have only seen where guys do it 2 times, 1 hour each, then let the fish cook for the rest of the 5-6 hours. Do I want the smoke going through out the full cook?

One thing I have found out for sure, strikly dry wood, no mixed wet/dry.

Edited by misfish

27 minutes ago, misfish said:

Doing the you tube search, I could not find where it says how many times I should fill the wood chip pan. I have only seen where guys do it 2 times, 1 hour each, then let the fish cook for the rest of the 5-6 hours. Do I want the smoke going through out the full cook?

One thing I have found out for sure, strikly dry wood, no mixed wet/dry.

I had that exact model,  yes 2 pans is all you need for a stronger flavoured fish like salmon, one pan might be sufficient for a mild fish. Continue to dry after the pans are done to your desired dryness.

7 hours ago, misfish said:

Can you guys swim????????????

Albert, I need a couple pairs of cement shoes made. :lol:

Man that is so 70', plus cementa ainta to cheapa deeza days. Today just tie an OMC outdrive to der feets, that's about all they are good for anyway. Or a Force outboard works good to. For anyone here that has an OMC or a Force engine I feel your pain.

You probably want to look for a salmon jerky recipe, instead of a smoked salmon or lox recipe.

I'd be tempted to try this one (http://www.alaskafromscratch.com/2012/03/27/salmon-jerky/), eliminate the liquid smoke and do the dehydrating on the smoker. Use alder wood for the first bit to get the smoke flavor in there.

Something with not enough smoke flavor can still be very tasty, while something with to much smoke flavor can be awful and can actually turn people off smoked food. So if you're unsure of how much smoke to add, I'd start on the light end and adjust the next time you smoke until you reach the level you like. 

It was done sooner then I thought, BUT, It is very salty. I used sea salt, not pickling salt. 

MISTAKE ?

There was a hint of smoke flavor. It smoked for 1.5 hours. Only did one pan 3 hand full of chips.

The taste and texture,was like  salt cod. 

SOOOOOO

This batch will go for fish cakes monday. :lol:

NORsrjT.jpg

I have the same one. They operate at a cool temperature. Makes these smokers awesome for fish. 1.5 hrs is barely getting the fish warmed up. In the fall you have to put a cardboard box over it to keep the heat in.. Do your fish with the skin on. It takes about 8 hrs to do a full batch of salmon chunks with skin  down. I use about 3 pans of wet wood chips  2 at the beginning and one more halfway through the cook. Everytime you take the lid off to look it will take another hour to get cooking again.. These things cook slow. Sorry mine is the Big Chief, same thing just a bit bigger.

I have the same smaker Brian but the Big Chief.

I use a wet prine but lot of people make a mistake Brining to long, Wet or dry

3 to 4 hours is long enough then rinse, sprinkle with you choice of seasoning. let dry.

Last year I basted my Salmon with Sweet Chilli Tye  Guys loved it.

I do 3 pans of chips but leave it in the smoker longer, it all depends on the size of your fish pieces.

Some like moist and some dryer.

Time is about how hot it is outside, shelter your smoker to make internal temp hotter. Put a box around the whole smoker, make for faster results.

Old school was enough salt in the water to float a egg or potato. 

You probably would have had success with you fish Brian if you would have rinsed the salt off then put your spice on before you smoked.

Your fish looked like Salt Cod buddy, hard to take the Neuff out of the Neuff :thumbsup_anim::D 

Edited by Fish Farmer

It,s a learning curve for me. Need to get out there and get me a couple more to smoke again. I have read where guys have built a plywood box to cover the smoker. I had a sheet of steel covering the breezy side, which in turn, blocked the sun from helping with the heat thing.  I smoked for 1.5 and cooked for a total of 5 hrs.  I found the thicker pieces on the middle rack , they were a bit soft still. Lower rack next time. 

Kenzy did mention I might want to swap out the burner that is in it, and put one of those stove top burners to have better heat. 

7 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Your fish looked like Salt Cod buddy, hard to take the Neuff out of the Neuff :thumbsup_anim::D 

Hence why I am making fish cakes brother from this batch. :lol:

Edited by misfish