John Bacon

NF - Roofing Company

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good roofing company in the Scarborough area? 

A buddy of mine, who is also an angler, runs Columbus Roofing. Not the best reviews but we had them replace our shingles last year. So far so good.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry is a roofer after that wind storm.  Guys are making a killing.

Probably only one slope got hit if it is like the roofs here and if your roof is fairly new might be all that needs replacing. 3 tab shingles is one of the simplest home things to do if you got the time and are physically able. You could most likely get a decent compressor and a nail gun and the shingles and still come out ahead, I did my little 900 sq. ft. place once and after getting it done by a reputable firm I think I did a better job .

Edited by dave524

9 hours ago, Jon said:

A buddy of mine, who is also an angler, runs Columbus Roofing. Not the best reviews but we had them replace our shingles last year. So far so good.

Thanks

4 hours ago, dave524 said:

Probably only one slope got hit if it is like the roofs here and if your roof is fairly new might be all that needs replacing. 3 tab shingles is one of the simplest home things to do if you got the time and are physically able. You could most likely get a decent compressor and a nail gun and the shingles and still come out ahead, I did my little 900 sq. ft. place once and after getting it done by a reputable firm I think I did a better job .

I have the original shingles on a house built in 2003; so there is no point in trying to repair it.  I would consider doing a bungalow myself; but I don't want be up on a two story house.

Just don't go up there and tie off on your wife's bumper for safety. The urban legend goes the guy was doing some roof repairs and tied himself off the opposite side on his wifes car. She went shopping and dragged him a mile before she stopped, killed him. I was lambasted on another forum for believing it.

We did our roof 5 years ago and the wind we got last Friday isn't normal but we get it more than a few times a year. Each and every shingle was glued down and staples were not used, broad head roofing nails were. Not a single shingle lost in the past 23 years.

Call Steve at 416 577 7456. he does great work. did my roof last fall. a fellow fisherman

I drove my wife to St. Catharines Friday evening during the wind and must have counted 30+ homes with roof damage. On the way home, there was a wire hanging straight down over the road and I smacked it doing 80kph. It must have had a connector of some kind on it because it whiplashed up and shattered the windshield on the passenger side in front of my wife. Heck of a bang but could have been much worse.

3 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

I drove my wife to St. Catharines Friday evening during the wind and must have counted 30+ homes with roof damage. On the way home, there was a wire hanging straight down over the road and I smacked it doing 80kph. It must have had a connector of some kind on it because it whiplashed up and shattered the windshield on the passenger side in front of my wife. Heck of a bang but could have been much worse.

Wow Grimsby you guys sure dodged a bullet. I'm so glad she wasn't injured, that was too close for comfort. I bet next time the car stays put.