trolling for bass with a tiller

teebis

Ok ...so I am thinking of buying a 16-17 foot tiller model fishing boat.. It must be complete with seats(chairs)  rod lockers and other storage, casting platform that I can fit   a Terrova on.

2 questions:  Can anyone recommend a great model that they have experienced?

Secondly:   I want to get a 30 or 40 hp 4 stroke motor. I have successfully trolled with a 30.   Is trollling with a 40 a good idea for most species? Never tried a 40.

I had a 1987 17 ft ( 16' 8 "Smokercraft ) with a 35 hp 2 stroke Merc on it, it had a beam of 73 inches but was a side console. Most of your newer boats are 6-8-10 inches wider for a boat of the same size, so I would assume they would troll slower with the same size motor.

Mine didn't seem to have any trouble trolling slow enough for walleye, pike, and skis, even for smallies on Lake Erie, never had much luck trolling for largemouth, probably because trolling water wasn't usually where they were.

Some of the newer tiller motor have an option built in that allows you to adjust the rpm in small increments to suit your preferred trolling speed.  Lund Furys are a pretty nice 16 foot boat.  I had a similar boat in an older generation of Lund and it was great.