Wet line today and caught a Fish!!!

I got a call around 9 from a buddy that wanted to splash his boat for the 1st time this year and do a check out run and asked me to come along. Was on the Grand River at Dunnville 45 minutes latter. We did a short run down river and back up as I watched for deadheads, they are out there, beware and stay dead centre of the river, lots of sand bars because of fast high water this time of year.  Might as well bring a few rods and a handful of shrimp from the freezer. I know a secret Cat hole close to the Dunnville Dam. It is very close to the south shore about 200 yards from the bridge. It drops straight down 15' and then comes back up to 5'. A perfect  hole for Big Cats, on the banks, dark and colder water, 3 out of 3. Not so secret now eh guys. Only accessible by boat. I have 2 rods all set for Cats. Med-Heavy baitcasters with 30lb braid, a ball barrow wt. of 3/4 oz. and a razor sharp circle hook, #4 or #5 I think. Hook a uncooked Shrimp on it, a splash of scent and drop the line into the hole. You can't get any simpler than that. 5 minutes latter buddy got a nice 10 pounder and 5 minutes after that I swear I caught the same fish. Jim hooked into a monster that he couldn't get off bottom. Even with the drag set dangerously tight he couldn't  move it. I was sure he caught a deadhead until the deadhead finally moved a few feet and Jim knows how to handle a big fish. 25 minutes into the struggle the fish started to sound. Just after she moved he lost it. The braid came off at the hook, what a shame, the knot is a year old, man I'm getting lazy. I was kind of glad to a degree, OK happy because I was starting to freeze my fingers off. It might be 20 something in town but with that wind whipping down the river it ain't no 20 on the river, maybe 9C, maybe. Sorry no pics, I'll take a picture of a Cat if it tips the scales at 15 pounds. Actually I didn't think of it, maybe there will be a next time. There were a few other boats out there but not many. They are probably off the water by the time I have my 1st Cappuccino.

If you guys do head this way and want to launch at The Dunnville Yacht Club because of the construction of the new Farmer's Market there is very little parking if any. Head to Fishmaster's or the BBQ joint. Look for my now not so secret spot.

Huzzaba my man. Ali when I get the StarCraft running I'll PM you and get you out here as promised. The buds are starting on the Sugar Maples = Cat Time!!

EDIT: Downed peel the Shrimp and in cleaned/uncooked work best for us. I think the shell feels more natural to the Cat, like a soft shelled crab.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

3 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

No pix?? Just a rumor then!!:lol:

Atleast he got out fishing. Working on the weekends again, SUCKS.

Have yet to get the toon out for a water test. Hoping Sunday. That is if I do not get a call in.

I said only accessible by boat, I didn't think about a Toon Brian Misfish. If you had a 9.9 you might get to the spot, that would be a lot of flippin' and a paddlin' with yer' footisies up river. Then you would need an old Johnson on a rope to hold you in place. Stick to the small waters up North. I still have those classic US Diver Fins for you. Still the choice of the Navy Seals. I'll keep a pair with the original mask as wall hangers to remind me of younger times, 40 years younger. I have pics when I came in 2nd in the Mr. Beansville Body Building Championship. I was the only contestant and came in 2nd!!

Send a return Drone and I'll hook you up.

20 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I got a call around 9 from a buddy that wanted to splash his boat for the 1st time this year and do a check out run and asked me to come along. Was on the Grand River at Dunnville 45 minutes latter. We did a short run down river and back up as I watched for deadheads, they are out there, beware and stay dead centre of the river, lots of sand bars because of fast high water this time of year.  Might as well bring a few rods and a handful of shrimp from the freezer. I know a secret Cat hole close to the Dunnville Dam. It is very close to the south shore about 200 yards from the bridge. It drops straight down 15' and then comes back up to 5'. A perfect  hole for Big Cats, on the banks, dark and colder water, 3 out of 3. Not so secret now eh guys. Only accessible by boat. I have 2 rods all set for Cats. Med-Heavy baitcasters with 30lb braid, a ball barrow wt. of 3/4 oz. and a razor sharp circle hook, #4 or #5 I think. Hook a uncooked Shrimp on it, a splash of scent and drop the line into the hole. You can't get any simpler than that. 5 minutes latter buddy got a nice 10 pounder and 5 minutes after that I swear I caught the same fish. Jim hooked into a monster that he couldn't get off bottom. Even with the drag set dangerously tight he couldn't  move it. I was sure he caught a deadhead until the deadhead finally moved a few feet and Jim knows how to handle a big fish. 25 minutes into the struggle the fish started to sound. Just after she moved he lost it. The braid came off at the hook, what a shame, the knot is a year old, man I'm getting lazy. I was kind of glad to a degree, OK happy because I was starting to freeze my fingers off. It might be 20 something in town but with that wind whipping down the river it ain't no 20 on the river, maybe 9C, maybe. Sorry no pics, I'll take a picture of a Cat if it tips the scales at 15 pounds. Actually I didn't think of it, maybe there will be a next time. There were a few other boats out there but not many. They are probably off the water by the time I have my 1st Cappuccino.

If you guys do head this way and want to launch at The Dunnville Yacht Club because of the construction of the new Farmer's Market there is very little parking if any. Head to Fishmaster's or the BBQ joint. Look for my now not so secret spot.

Huzzaba my man. Ali when I get the StarCraft running I'll PM you and get you out here as promised. The buds are starting on the Sugar Maples = Cat Time!!

EDIT: Downed peel the Shrimp and in cleaned/uncooked work best for us. I think the shell feels more natural to the Cat, like a soft shelled crab.

Love it when you go out not expecting anything and catch a big one.  Sharp hooks are a must!  Last time I was on the port maitland pier, I hooked into something big, but as you described, it was like a ton of bricks and we couldn't get it to budge off the bottom until the line snapped.

Thanks for the offer!  Would love to get out and experience the Grand!

54 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

We don't know that for sure now, do we?? No pix!!

I went today, no pics,no video. The bay is 42 deg. Toon is primo for next weekends opener. Let the pics and video begin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, AGAIN:clapping::Gonefishing:

OMG I saw your name OLD I and the word "Wet" and immediately thought you wet your pants or fell in......glad you are "OK"..... LOL

Now the next time you catch some "FISH" not play with cats or dogs please post again and hopefully it will be either Erie perch or walleye.......

4 hours ago, Mister G said:

OMG I saw your name OLD I and the word "Wet" and immediately thought you wet your pants or fell in......glad you are "OK"..... LOL

Now the next time you catch some "FISH" not play with cats or dogs please post again and hopefully it will be either Erie perch or walleye.......

If a man says he never pissed his drawers he is a liar. With this Diabetes and then a bout of Bladder Cancer I don't get a warning. I know every public washroom and hidden dumpster in the county. I always have a dry change of clothes, in the car, truck, boat and Golf bag. Including Charmin. Getting old sucks boys. Get older but don't get old. My 91 year old father has an excuse, I have a reason.

I was in Florida this past winter, Catfish was going for 16 bucks a pound, USD!!!!! I'm keeping the next one if there is a next one. Solid spring Cats are as good as Walleye and Perch, believe me. I had Carp Cabobs from the BBQ a few years ago in Illinois, nothing wrong with it at all, absolutely nothing, mild, firm and sweet taste. We have to expand our tastes here. Lobsters were only fed to prisoners in the east coast prisons years ago, consider a garbage fish then only because of the way they looked.

My secret spot Brian may be a few hundred  yards off. Not so secret what Charlie Wray films his annual Cat fishing show with Fishmaster, a member here on OFC. A few years ago Izumi filmed a Cat trip on a channel with in a small Lake Erie town that  has a Friday the 13th Bike Rally every year as he explained. Complete with the background of the towns name if one looks close enough. You would have to be an idiot if you didn't figure out where his "Secret spot" was.

I love the 25 minute Cooper Tire, Dodge Ram commercial called Fishin' Canada where Mr. Angelo Viola (Mom says he's a cousin) and his sidekick Pete Bowman gives exact GPS co ordinates and directions to the "Secret Spot" where they hammer them fish every Saturday morning. They only broadcast World wide. What da,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,? 

As far as the cousin thing, more than 1 person has asked me for tips and free tackle at the ramps when I have my sunglasses and hat on. I say Angelo who? I should say "Go away son your bothering me."

Edited by Old Ironmaker