Big Gull lake?

Gerritt

Hey folks,

Renting a cottage on big gull this summer and had a question.. 

I know it has walleye in it and the usual players, but does it have a sizable musky population? The GF's father is wanting to target them.

We will be staying close to the town of Arden at Hyatts resort (former co-worker owns the place) 

Any tips or tactics for fishing this body of water are appreciated!

G.

I fish it a few times a year. Never seen or heard of musky being caught. Heard some old wives tales that there may have been the odd one back in the day, but im not so sure. 

Great walleye, a few pike, and probably lots of bass if you fished for them. 

S. 

We have stayed at Kirk's Kove many times but not recently......I always did GREAT on walleyes and pretty good on pike......don't fish bass but  noticed they were a pain at times and all small back then.

There are many fishermen that return there year after year but I never heard or seen one of them come in with a musky.

The newer owners is why we left. They really didn't like fishermen, especially when you kept some fish plus the price kept rising with no improvements to our cottage whatsoever. Now since there butterfly and arts and crafts program crashed and burned they are once again I see catering to fishermen.....HUH

The old couple that we first starting go there were GREAT........if they still owned it we would still be going there because the walleye fishing was very good without flying in.

Bottom line go to Kirk's Kove website and look at pics and "maybe" you can contact some of the regulars that keep going there.

Heading up for yearly boys trip on the 24th, BASS not in season so Pike and Wally hunting only.

Been going for years and have great success but no musky or even rumors...

Pulled out some decent sized fish for sure and the last few years have seen a big hike in baby pike so expecting their numbers to increase.

Spend a day trolling on Lake St. Clair to take care of your musky itch!

We fished the lake from the early 60s till 2006,in all that time I've heard of a few caught. I caught a small one as did a buddy. Used to catch decent pike 6lb or so on a regular basis,and bass 3-4 lbs. In the 60s the pike were bigger double digits on some. We always stayed at Bayview and in the later years Hiyats. I really like that lake and know it well.would love to go back but the fishing really went down hill in the mid to late 90s. The walleye was decent but nothing over 5 or 6 lbs for us. Lots of eaters, we always went in June and found most our walleye in the weeds in 10 to 12 ft. Of water.

Yes Gerritt there is Musky in there, not many, caught a few myself. That's our annual trip every year, we stay at Kirk Kove Cottages.

There is a few pictures of our gang on their site. Few of the guys are not with us anymore. We do well on the Walleye and have a few fish frys.

Musky that I have caught are accidental catch, I don't want the stinking things, sooner catch a Sheep Head or a Carp, better fight. 

You catch them on light line on a jig and worm stink up your boat and hands, can't imagine someone eating them.

Hard to bring them back after fighting them on light line. Since the've been in the lake Walleye numbers have dropped. 

One thing we like the lake is because its 80 % crown land not many cottages.

Jim and Claire have done a lot of work there bringing the cottages up to snuff. We rent the double duplex 10 guys this year in a few weeks.

After June the lake has to much activity for the Walleye guys, more the vacationers, Bass and Pike guys.    

6 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Yes Gerritt there is Musky in there, not many, caught a few myself. That's our annual trip every year, we stay at Kirk Kove Cottages.

There is a few pictures of our gang on their site. Few of the guys are not with us anymore. We do well on the Walleye and have a few fish frys.

Musky that I have caught are accidental catch, I don't want the stinking things, sooner catch a Sheep Head or a Carp, better fight. 

You catch them on light line on a jig and worm stink up your boat and hands, can't imagine someone eating them.

Hard to bring them back after fighting them on light line. Since the've been in the lake Walleye numbers have dropped. 

One thing we like the lake is because its 80 % crown land not many cottages.

Jim and Claire have done a lot of work there bringing the cottages up to snuff. We rent the double duplex 10 guys this year in a few weeks.

After June the lake has to much activity for the Walleye guys, more the vacationers, Bass and Pike guys.    

Really? 

When was the last time you caught one in there? I have heard lots of rumours, but never ever seen one, or know of anyone who actually caught one. I fish it for walleye, great spot, get the odd pike and some smallies too, but never musky. Maybe I should try targeting them in there.....lots of fallfish for bait for them. You would think there would be a few real big ones in there.  My friends family has a place on the east end, been there over 30yrs, never seen or heard of anyone catching a musky. 

S. 

A fellow that always fished with our gang swore one evening he was out by him self off chimney island one evening and hooked a musky as long as the old metal boats they used to rent at bayview cabins. He never landed it but swore it was true. That was in the 60s Hey Gerrit ask them at Hyyatts about the guy that lost his pole in the narrows in 30 ft. Of water in 1993 and snagged it jigging in 2000.That was me.?

On 20/05/2018 at 11:39 PM, mudbutt said:

A fellow that always fished with our gang swore one evening he was out by him self off chimney island one evening and hooked a musky as long as the old metal boats they used to rent at bayview cabins. He never landed it but swore it was true. That was in the 60s Hey Gerrit ask them at Hyyatts about the guy that lost his pole in the narrows in 30 ft. Of water in 1993 and snagged it jigging in 2000.That was me.?

Ill be sure to do that!

On 5/14/2018 at 3:26 PM, Sinker said:

Really? 

When was the last time you caught one in there? I have heard lots of rumours, but never ever seen one, or know of anyone who actually caught one. I fish it for walleye, great spot, get the odd pike and some smallies too, but never musky. Maybe I should try targeting them in there.....lots of fallfish for bait for them. You would think there would be a few real big ones in there.  My friends family has a place on the east end, been there over 30yrs, never seen or heard of anyone catching a musky. 

S. 

That cuz Dave is  older and wiser and a better  newf fisherman then you. LMAO :P :lol:

Have a good time G

• Haha 1

Overall very poor weekend.

Finished with around 6 wally and ONLY 1 pike over the weekend.

Our usual ratio is 4 pike 1 Wally...

We put in a ton of hours and caught maybe 10 small pike to toss back.

Caught 2 nice 2-3 lbs OOS bass returned safely...

2nd year in a row with low pike numbers compared with years past.

Years past we would bring in a stringer of solid pike but none to be seen now.

The lake doesn't seem to see high pressure so don't think we fished it out considering the "veterans" usually stick to the Walleye.

This video shows are basic hunting grounds: (Not my video)

Edited by Raycaster

• 1 year later...