HANG ON OUT THERE

misfish

I lost a bunch of shingles on two areas of my roof. The first was at the back of the house and after the wind changed direction; the rest were off the side of the driveway. 5 grand worth of roofing 4 years ago all for nothing. So many other areas are partly flipped, I don't want to have it just patched; even though that's all the insurance will pay for. It is what it is; mother nature reminding us she's in-charge.

Dan.

13 hours ago, pics said:

One gust at the Hamilton airport was reported at 127km/h.. all the new homes around us are losing shingles..of course they use OSB and cheap 3 tab shingles so what can you expect...

Yet those houses sell at prices that would justify plywood and metal roofs. Someone is going to make a lot of money in the next 20-30 year doing repairs to all these new houses.

Broken body and all we went and hit a few little white balls around yesterday on the north shore of Erie. I hit a drive 377 yards. Back into the wind the ball went maybe 75 yards! Buddy hit a wedge into the green and it ended up 20 yards behind him.  Yep fairly windy.

Guys we have building houses in Hamilton like that since the early 80's. There was a time second levels could be 2X4 24" on center. I'm surprised they are still standing. You can't buy one of them today for less than 600K. Many of those roofs and sheathing were replaced just 10 years latter. There was an entire sub division off of Upper Ottawa that had to replace everything 10 years latter. The residents filed a Class Action and the builder just went under only to re appear a few years latter under a different Corp. I'd rather buy a home build pre 78' then buy a house build between then and now. A fellow is building a place on the Lakeshore down the road, I asked him "No Hurricane bracing?" What's that? The shingles they put on 2 weeks ago are out in the bean field across the road.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Drove from Montreal back to Mississauga yesterday.  Most of the drive was just managing stay in my lane!  This was with a brand spanking new rental chrysler pacifica with 6 passengers in it.  Another guy I know was driving his semi from Quebec to Mississauga and had to stop in Kingston to rest cause his shoulders were hurting from fighting to keep the truck in control

At one point we had to dodge pylons that were scattered all over the 401 causing major traffic jam eastbound near kingston.

Came home to find out gazebo canopy all mangled up :( and other stuff thrown around. Weather has been pretty crazy in 2018.

Edited by huzzsaba