Smoked steelhead

b_cdot

Hey fellow fisherman. I just found a bag of steelhead at the bottom of my freezer from summer 2017. I froze in water but I can see some of the pieces are a bit freezer burnt. I'm not a huge fan of eating steelhead baked or grilled especially if I know it's been in the freezer that long. The question is can I save these fillets by brining and smoking them? I'm just curious if it's worth the time and effort. Have you guys had luck with finding older bags of fish and making them taste good by brining and smoking or is there a considerable difference in the taste. I don't want to throw them away. My experience with steelhead is that it doesn't freeze very well in ice for as long as I can freeze walleye and perch for. How long do you typically leave steelhead in the freezer for before it's unedible? Thanks!.....and yes I do own a vacuum sealer. I know ppl will definitely mention that haha

Edited by b_cdot

3 hours ago, dave524 said:

Actually I've read that previously frozen fish works best for smoking, the freezing and thawing breaks down the cell walls allowing for better brine penetration. Go for it.

I agree 100% with the above.

I would also use a dry brine, I feel that a wet brine robs some of the flavor of what you're brining(SP?). When a dry brine starts to cure the meat, the meat is being soaked in its own juices; not being deluded by water. Google dry brine for fish and you'll get a number of hits; that may sound good to your liking?

Dan.