Debris on lakes

I like to get on the water first thing once the ice is out and when the flooding happens a few weeks later because sometimes you find good stuff.

One year I got a brand new adult life jacket and another I got a brand new water noodle.  Another year a rain barrel floated up to my dock but it was my neighbors from a few doors down so they came and claimed it before I grabbed it and put it next to my shed.  :)

But as I was fishing last night off my dock for the bays crappie and blue gill ... I was fishing at times around a part of a dock that floated in ... looked like a 2x10 approx 8' long.  Those are certainly the dangers to watch out for not just early spring, but all the time.

48 minutes ago, TheKawarthaAngler said:

I like to get on the water first thing once the ice is out and when the flooding happens a few weeks later because sometimes you find good stuff.

One year I got a brand new adult life jacket and another I got a brand new water noodle.  Another year a rain barrel floated up to my dock but it was my neighbors from a few doors down so they came and claimed it before I grabbed it and put it next to my shed.  :)

But as I was fishing last night off my dock for the bays crappie and blue gill ... I was fishing at times around a part of a dock that floated in ... looked like a 2x10 approx 8' long.  Those are certainly the dangers to watch out for not just early spring, but all the time.

This is really actually funny you mention this. I went for a stroll through the bush into a shallow bay near my cottage last weekend to try find some spawning pans and sure enough on my walk i found a pretty nice boogie board and a kids life jacket washed up on shore. Both came back with me...so even though I didnt catch a fish i caught a couple of other cool things lol.

A house trailer, part of anyway, got hung up on shore after the ice broke on The Grand. Part of the deck was still attached. I've seen everything from picnic tables to bicycles along the shore of the river in the spring. I go slow chasing Cats this time of year, that river is full of stuff besides muddy waters.

Weird, it was just a week or two ago that I was shaking my head at guys zooming up the lower end of Pigeon when the water was super low. People have to realize that there are some huge stumps in the middle that are safe during normal or high levels, but very dangerous during low water levels. I sure as heck would want to hit one at open throttle.

1 hour ago, jimmer said:

Weird, it was just a week or two ago that I was shaking my head at guys zooming up the lower end of Pigeon when the water was super low. People have to realize that there are some huge stumps in the middle that are safe during normal or high levels, but very dangerous during low water levels. I sure as heck would want to hit one at open throttle.

They are the ones that will learn the hard way.

12 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

gotta love all the deadheads the guys with shacks leave out there! Saw a guy pull his shack off this year, drove off and left 8 1 foot lengths of 2x6 ..perfect for mangling my prop.

Many years ago we would be in the river or near it at PAB and see something just barely sticking out of the water, when we got closer it looked like a telephone pole just barely floating with the thicker end down.

Saw them a few times over the years and glad we never hit one! It seems to be there used to be one on the left side of the river past the narrows that was stuck? Maybe something from past logging?

On 5/4/2018 at 7:29 PM, OhioFisherman said:

Many years ago we would be in the river or near it at PAB and see something just barely sticking out of the water, when we got closer it looked like a telephone pole just barely floating with the thicker end down.

Saw them a few times over the years and glad we never hit one! It seems to be there used to be one on the left side of the river past the narrows that was stuck? Maybe something from past logging?

The river has a whole pile of 12x12 deadheads...im not sure how they got there but there are about 5 of them that I am aware off that stick kind of out of the water. Mysteriously there are also other ones scattered throughout the area...I have never understood how they go there or what caused them to stick perfectly out of the water like they do.