Got a job guiding.

This should be interesting.

Its the camp in the same bay as me, owner seems nice enough, bit on the religious side for my taste, be we had a frank discussion, he said he does not like swearing or smoking, lo....which I do in abundance, I said I will watch my Ps & Qs just like I do on my videos (which is how he found me) and I will be discreet with the smoking, although that gives me another incentive to quit by opener. I told him I won't swear but i'm a straight shooter and don't take....I hesitated at that point an stopped my self saying 'b... s...." and just said Bull....lol, he smiled and said he thinks we can work together....lol.

A lot of families and it should fit with my PT schedule. Did a few gigs last year, and do it almost weekly when I take my work clients out, be interesting to see how I like it. Wants me to do day trips to backwater lakes too...sounds fun as long as nobody gets hurt or stuff breaks....but ...all part of the adventure in my eyes.

Like I said, interesting summer ahead....

1 hour ago, OhioFisherman said:

Congrats sir, you should be good at it.

Thanks!

56 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Sounds great. Is he carrying insurance for you against damages and accidents? If someone gets hurt, you don't want it on you.

Good question, will make sure he is, I aint paying for a bottom end or getting sued for hospital fees.

4 hours ago, ketchenany said:

Show up wearing a white collar and a cross, that should impress him!

I was thinking of turning up dressed like this......................

U37164.jpg

All joking aside, I respect his beliefs and will accommodate as I always do. I just had another meeting with him and his wife, seem like really nice people just making a living like everyone else. Might work really well considering I can throw a stone and hit their dock from my house, and if he fires me thats what i'll be doing on the daily.....lol.

Edited by limeyangler

14 hours ago, Rizzo said:

that's a sweet gig...the guiding...not the dressing in a nun's habit...that's just disturbing

What about this then....better?

61rnYd61H5L._SL1000_.jpg

14 hours ago, LittleWorm said:

Congrats man. 

Thanks.

13 hours ago, scuro2 said:

If you have use for the money it is good. If it is for personal growth it is good. If it is to feed your ever growing fishing addiction well now we got something to talk about. :)

all 3....lol. he actually asked if I could come at work the odd day in the camp. He wanted to know how I was with engines and stuff...lol...I told him I can just about winterize an outboard and that's it. He asked how I was with techy stuff and I said ok, going in on Friday for the day to install his new fish finders. Problem is it does not pay much and I said because of this I wont be doing much of that, getting paid less than my regular job on my days off to go fishing is one thing, getting paid less on my days off to lug firewood, clean up and the like with no prospect of a tip in $US.....not so much. One cool thing is he wants me to do a bunch of day trips to cache lakes and other places, I get to use his cache boats to go and scout out the lakes and find the honey holes, he has a couple of boats on lakes I already fish from shore and do well, should be able to kill 'em in a boat and then take clients there and put them on some awesome fishing.

10 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

He just did it the once for the pic----he didn't make a habit of it(sorry, couldn't resist)

?

Hey Simon

Great gig Its fantastic ya can make a few bucks doing something you love to do!

Just a heads up on the insurance thing. You might want to have a conversation with a lawyer on the issue.

There is a whole new set of rules when you are receiving money for services rendered.

A buddy was planning to rent fish huts, as a part time winter thing, but when he looked into insurance he changed his mind.

Cheers, Have fun

Rick 

I would be doing some part time guiding myself if it wasnt for the insurance costs...its insane how high they are.

A board member here that I am buddies with just went through the process from guiding his friends to actually full on guiding and i couldnt believe the kinds of costs that he was telling me about. Good on him for taking the plunge...i think I will hold off until the future when I have no one to fish with anymore.

With fuel and insurnace costs you can see why it can cost up to $700 a day to get out with a guide.

Edited by AKRISONER

33 minutes ago, RickOnt said:

Hey Simon

Great gig Its fantastic ya can make a few bucks doing something you love to do!

Just a heads up on the insurance thing. You might want to have a conversation with a lawyer on the issue.

There is a whole new set of rules when you are receiving money for services rendered.

A buddy was planning to rent fish huts, as a part time winter thing, but when he looked into insurance he changed his mind.

Cheers, Have fun

Rick 

19 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

I would be doing some part time guiding myself if it wasnt for the insurance costs...its insane how high they are.

A board member here that I am buddies with just went through the process from guiding his friends to actually full on guiding and i couldnt believe the kinds of costs that he was telling me about. Good on him for taking the plunge...i think I will hold off until the future when I have no one to fish with anymore.

With fuel and insurnace costs you can see why it can cost up to $700 a day to get out with a guide.

I spoke to him about it yesterday and I was assured I’m covered under the camp’s insurance. I asked about my liability if I damage equipment, i.e. bottom ends etc. He said if I damage the boat while out with clients they pay for it and are made aware of this beforehand, they have the choice to let me drive or drive themselves, Wabigoon is full of hazards, I’ve found out the hard way a couple of times, even with that I would say that if they don’t boat often they might want to let me drive.... lol.

Good for you Simon.Just a word of caution.

As you know I spent so time in the local tackleshop as the "official part-time old guy".

Some of the visiting tourist fishermen can "suck the nice" out of you with their attitudes in a very short time.Not all of them but enough that I'm not going back.

Hopefully you have thicker skin then me.

37 minutes ago, Blue Lk said:

Good for you Simon.Just a word of caution.

As you know I spent so time in the local tackleshop as the "official part-time old guy".

Some of the visiting tourist fishermen can "suck the nice" out of you with their attitudes in a very short time.Not all of them but enough that I'm not going back.

Hopefully you have thicker skin then me.

I have given this a lot of thought. Like in any walk of life you meet people with bad attitudes, in most cases you can walk away, not possible when you are stuck in a boat with them for six hours. I think I have the skill set to cope with that though, for the last twenty years I have been working with some very angry and hostile clients in various roles from the probation service, housing serious offenders, child and family services, addictions counsel or and most recently intellectual and physical disabilities, only time will tell.

4 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I wish I guided when I was younger for a lodge.  But now?  no way, I've worked too hard to hand over spots for $$$, lol.

Edited by BillM

9 minutes ago, BillM said:

I wish I guided when I was younger for a lodge.  But now?  no way, I've worked too hard to hand over spots for $$$, lol.

thats why i cant do it now...i couldnt show everyone where the heck i catch my big bass, especially when people like to eat 14 year old fish.

My dad is bloody bad enough as it is. Him and my brother went out to my best honey hole and started keeping the smallies to eat, i had to tell them to bugger off and find their own damn spots then.

The agreed that they would stop eating bass so that I would continue to take them fishing and putting them on fish lol

Just a question for you limeyangler.

Will you be using his or the clients boats or your own?

That can make a big difference liability wise.

In one case you can be considered an employee but in the other you will be an independent contractor.

Is he running your pay though as an employee with deductions or just giving you cash? If not being treated as an employee the potential legal hassles are not worth it. His insurance will not shield you unless your an employee.

Also if you use your boat you are required to license it as a small commercial vessel & carry commercial insurance.

And if you use his boat for guiding they must also be licensed and insured as small commercial vessels.

31 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

Also if you use your boat you are required to license it as a small commercial vessel & carry commercial insurance.

And if you use his boat for guiding they must also be licensed and insured as small commercial vessels.

1 hour ago, Woodsman said:

Just a question for you limeyangler.

Will you be using his or the clients boats or your own?

That can make a big difference liability wise.

In one case you can be considered an employee but in the other you will be an independent contractor.

Is he running your pay though as an employee with deductions or just giving you cash? If not being treated as an employee the potential legal hassles are not worth it. His insurance will not shield you unless your an employee.

I’ll be using his boats, I’m an employee. If they want me to guide in their boat they drive.

6 hours ago, limeyangler said:

I think I have the skill set to cope with that though, for the last twenty years I have been working with some very angry and hostile clients in various roles from the probation service, housing serious offenders, child and family services, addictions counsel or and most recently intellectual and physical disabilities, only time will tell.

And for the really bad ones there's quick setting cement!!:lol:

7 hours ago, limeyangler said:

I think I have the skill set to cope with that though, for the last twenty years I have been working with some very angry and hostile clients in various roles from the probation service,

You have not fished with Terry and I.  LMAO

Hope it works out and you enjoy it Simon.