What's your best boat ramp argument or funny story?

LostAnotherOne

On 8/10/2019 at 10:44 PM, grimsbylander said:

My biggest beef is the ramp mechanics that say “it ran great last year”!! Grrrrrr

Im sure these same guys did a fantastic job winterizing their boats.

I gotta laugh though Imagine starting your fogged engine on the boat ramp lmao!! SMOKE SHOW

Not boat related at all, but a hilarious quip from my old car club. I still dont know if it actually happened, but it was a hilarious thought anyways. Back when emmisions tests required your car to be hooked up to the government's scam machine, one of the members took a bet from a few guys that he wouldnt load his car full of seafoam before taking the E test. He apparently clouded out the entire shop ahhaha.

Edited by AKRISONER

13 minutes ago, Garnet said:

In the OV Pro Bass days a couple brought there lawn chairs to Orillia to see 150 boats launch.

They where disappointed . 

Geez OV Pro Bass brings back memories. Yeah people are surprised how quickly an entire tournament can launch, park and be gone from the ramp. ?

Buddy and daughter in the boat, as I'm backing down a long slanted ramp to the launch I hear my buddy shout "Keep her coming Flint, your backing her up straighter then the bangs on a Chinese haircut" well I actually had to hit the brakes "What?" i replied! "you never heard that one" he says "NOPE" lmao my poor daughter was in tears...

• 5 months later...

other than my own mishap.. that shall remain legendary.

I watched a couple of very drunk boaters pull there very nice big speed boat up the ramp super fast get near the top of the ramp... then the fun begins.

trailer pops off the ball... No safety chains.. Down the ramp this boat goes dragging all the way and into the water.

with the momentum out it goes away from the dock well out of reach.    OPP boat arrives to help.. We did not see the end results  

I've told this story before, but it's been awhile so...

Fished Quinte a ton back in the 90's, mostly from November until ice up. We arrived early, in the dark and proceeded to the launch in Picton. Temps were somewhere south of minus 10C. Back the boat down the launch, me holding the rope. Trailer is all the way in the water, but the boat looks wrong in the water. The trailer is frozen to the boat! Just hanging there. the thinking at the time, let's just let it come off in the water. Fifteen minutes later, no luck.

We pull the boat out, still on the trailer and make a run to the power-wash car wash in Picton, and hit the bunks with the hot water, race back to the launch and the boat floats off the bunks.

HH

• Like 1

We were late one year doing test runs. We like going out in 2 boats in case one needs a tow. The problem it was a Sunday on the Grand south of Dunnville. I do not use the boat on weekends, too many ramp follies. So I'm lined up 5 boats ahead of me. 2 guys in a 14' tinny pass me and all the other boats and cuts in. Everyone's yelling at them, they don't bat an eye. The one guy gets out and goes and gets his mini van. He can not back the van in straight, more than a 1/2 dozen tries. My buddy is already out and has my truck and trailer standing by so I can drive onto the trailer. The guy  is hammering the trailer into the dock, time after time. Ted  offers to back the truck up for him, no speak English. This time he scrapes the side of the van against the dock, not a nice sound for the owner. Now everybody he cut is applauding everytime he scrapes his trailer and van against the dock, with great glee they cheered. Finally the trailer is in the water straight but not far enough in, everyones telling him to back up more, no speak English. The 2 guys get into the water waist deep and struggle to get the boat on the trailer. There isn't enough water under the trailer so they are trying to lift it on. After great effort the trailer is under the boat. They pull up the ramp a bit and stop. Now they are going to do everything they can do hundreds of feet away but no they are going to unload the boat and put everything in the van 1st. There's 6 boats behind me know. That enough of this non sense and now there is an angry mob. The  guy that was next in line jumps onto the dock and screams something at these idiots, jumps into the van and pulls it away from the ramp at the cheers of the angry mob. How these 2 duffuses didn't et punched in the face I have no idea. 

I do not like boating on weekends. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

I once watched a guy pull a 33' Chris Craft out at Port Credit.

Only issue is he didn't use the ramp, he used the rocks just to the West of the opening to the river.

He was coming back from Rochester NY.

He was passed out drunk and on auto pilot.

It happened during the salmon derby and there were dozens of people fishing off the rocks that had run for their lives.

The dude lived, the boat was toast!!! The deck was no longer attached to the hull.

Dude was arrested and charged with DUI.

The boat ended up past the rocks and up on the grass.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

My story happened about 20 years ago at the Bronte ramp.

An older father and son were about to launch there boat and the old man was behind directing the son backwards.

It appeared the son hit the gas instead of the brake because the old van proceed to fly into the water up to the front door!

That wasn't the worst part of it, he managed to run over the old man!!!!

I was way down the road and people ran to help but they had to call an ambulance and a tow truck at the same time!

20 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I once watched a guy pull a 33' Chris Craft out at Port Credit.

Only issue is he didn't use the ramp, he used the rocks just to the West of the opening to the river.

He was coming back from Rochester NY.

He was passed out drunk and on auto pilot.

It happened during the salmon derby and there were dozens of people fishing off the rocks that had run for their lives.

The dude lived, the boat was toast!!! The deck was no longer attached to the hull.

Dude was arrested and charged with DUI.

The boat ended up past the rocks and up on the grass.

It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.