Tied some roe for the opener

Dutch01

I was lucky enough to be given some freshly cured rainbow row from a new friend I met through fishing on the river. He's been fishing lake O tribs for almost as long as I've been alive so I take his advice/instruction seriously (and with gratitude).

He showed me how to tie roe too, and of course it looked so easy when he did it! Anyways I got around to tying some up for the opener and while it was not as easy as he made it look, I am happy with the results. Practice makes perfect so I'll keep at it.

I'm hoping I can find a few more rainbows  before it warms up enough to get in the kayak for the rest of the season.

Good luck to those who are fishing the opener Saturday.

BE1A8E3B-E8EC-4EF8-B8AD-5C93902E5551.jpeg

FEFFA05D-7256-402F-91AE-51600218746E.jpeg

Edited by Dutch01

Good luck with your fishing. Those roe bags look pretty good!

I too tied some steelhead roe for the first time which a friend gave me.  Hopefully the fish are not too picky on a badly tied roe bag lol!

Hoping to get out myself sometime soon on one of Lake O tribs. 

Edited by huzzsaba

I,ll bet, old dewy will out fish roe right now.

I,ll pass on the opener,then hit the creeks and streams with the fly rod.

Did you use mesh or scarf ?

I am a big scarf fan. Nice brighter colors. I do use mesh as well . I also tie with thread. I can tie just as fast as that spider thread.

Good luck out there. Bring your shoulder pads and those nice hard plastic elbow pads. LOL

Have a fun.

55 minutes ago, misfish said:

I,ll bet, old dewy will out fish roe right now.

Good luck out there. Bring your shoulder pads and those nice hard plastic elbow pads. LOL

Have a fun.

Worms eh? Haven't actually used worms on the river except the pink plastic trout worms. Might have to give those a try.

I'm not one for crowds and so far the rivers haven't been that crowded. If it's a zoo this weekend it'll be my last time on the river and I'll get the kayak out.

I'll be fishing east of the GTA, but not sure which trib yet. I haven't fished gbay tribs in 20 years and was recently thinking of getting back up there "for old time's sake". Obv not this weekend, thanks for the warning!

Edited by Dutch01

2 hours ago, huzzsaba said:

west. mississauga/oakville

I've never fished out that way. Traffic in this city is crazy and I'm only 15 minutes from the Rouge here. Well, actually I live on a Rouge trib but it's 15 minutes to get to the year round season boundary.

Anyways good luck if you get out!

44 minutes ago, Dutch01 said:

I've never fished out that way. Traffic in this city is crazy and I'm only 15 minutes from the Rouge here. Well, actually I live on a Rouge trib but it's 15 minutes to get to the year round season boundary.

Anyways good luck if you get out!

thanks

Just on a flat surface. I put a scoop of roe on the mesh square, bring two corners together and pinch. Bring corner three and four in and turn it upside down and use two fingers to pinch the mesh and one to help shape it. Then I wind it with spider  thread and cut the excess off. 

YUP That,s what I got.

Another tip when tieing ( picked this up for Mikey ) Take the eggs out a couple of days before you want to tie them. The membrane gets a bit tougher, and does not make a mess, and so much easier to tie. That is if you are using natural, not cured.