MNR Changes to Fishing & Hunting - November 2018

KawarthaAngler

Got an email courtesy of a new MNR e-mail newsletter update service.  Looks more like a license/card change than anything else.

Details -> https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-outdoors-card#section-7

Items taken from the email newsletter:

Updating our fish and wildlife licensing service

This November we're making updates to our licensing service. Our goal is to make it easier for you to buy fishing and hunting licences. A couple of exciting features in the new service include:

• A single version of the plastic Outdoors Card. (Hunter accreditation will no longer appear on the Outdoors Card; it will be tracked in the new service.)
  • A Licence Summary that lists all your valid fishing and hunting licences.The Licence Summary can be printed from home but you also have the option to store it on a digital device such as your smartphone.

Future regulation changes

Next, we're making improvements to some fishing and hunting rules. Fishing regulation changes will come into effect in November 2018, and hunting regulations will change in January 2019. Here are some things that will be different for hunters:

• In 2019, game seals will be replaced by "tags". You'll have the option to print your tag from home, making it easier to prepare for hunting season. Plastic see-through luggage tag holders can help protect your tags from the elements.
  • Reporting rules for hunters are also changing. All hunters who are issued a tag in 2019 will be asked to submit a report whether or not they hunted or harvested an animal. This new mandatory hunter reporting will replace the current mix of hunter/harvest reporting and voluntary hunter questionnaires.
Edited by TheKawarthaAngler

2 hours ago, TheKawarthaAngler said:

A License Summary that lists all your valid fishing and hunting licences.The Licence Summary can be printed from home but you also have the option to store it on a digital device such as your smartphone.

When I read this, I guess it means that you can have a number of ways of showing your legal.  

One on the boat, One in the tackle box, and on the phone .. Finally.

8 minutes ago, LeXXington said:

When I read this, I guess it means that you can have a number of ways of showing your legal.  

One on the boat, One in the tackle box, and on the phone .. Finally.

wouldnt you still need to be carrying your outdoors card though?

I 100% would be on board for being able to display my stuff on my phone. I never go in the boat without a lifeline.

Sorry officer my phone is dead, I can't you show my license.  

I'll keep mine plastic, lol.   I do like the idea of being able to print it off and keep it in a ziplock in the boat.  Then you can just leave there all season.  

Edited by BillM

1 hour ago, BillM said:

Sorry officer my phone is dead, I can't you show my license.  

I'll keep mine plastic, lol.   I do like the idea of being able to print it off and keep it in a ziplock in the boat.  Then you can just leave there all season.  

I seen the cell thing for the first time this winter. My buddy had it already. Mine is in my float jacket all ice season, then in my back pack for the river time, then in my toon for the summer. Now I can have one in all of them and be covered. :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: