Toronto Terrorist Attack

AKRISONER

Awful to see. What dives a person to be so angry at themselves and others that they would want to do something like this? I'm glad that they did capture rather than kill, perhaps by exploring his motive and mindset there can be something done to prevent similar things from happening again. I'm not happy that we'll be housing and feeding him at tax payer expense, but if it prevents a death by similar motive then I'm for it.

Besides, his problem is going to change from being Involuntarily Celibate to being Involuntarily Active. 

At a cost of more than $100K a prisoner per year or approximately $6million (NOT accounting for inflation or including court costs) over his expected life span - the cop should have shot him.  That is one helluva cost for revenge against him getting his wish of being killed by police.  We should be able to opt out of taxes that cover this cost and those that are happy to see him rot in prison can volunteer to foot the bill.

1 hour ago, Henricus said:

At a cost of more than $100K a prisoner per year or approximately $6million (NOT accounting for inflation or including court costs) over his expected life span - the cop should have shot him.  That is one helluva cost for revenge against him getting his wish of being killed by police.  We should be able to opt out of taxes that cover this cost and those that are happy to see him rot in prison can volunteer to foot the bill.

I understand that its' frustrating that we taxpayers are footing the bill for this idiot's jail term but remember that happens every single day. People get arrested, sentenced to jail time, and we pay for it. It's the way the system works. Not saying its right or fair, but it is what it is. 

I try to look at this from PC Lam's point of view. I highly doubt any of us on this board have been forced to take someone's life in the line of duty. It's more than just "taking out a scumbag". It's flashbacks, PTSD, judgement, time off work, and something he would have to live and deal with for the rest of his life. 

Instead he followed his training perfectly and we should all commend him for that. It's easy for us to sit in our armchairs and say he should have done this or that, but at the end of the day he did the right thing. 

Suggesting he should have shot him is giving police the power of judge and jury, and we've seen many instances where that doesn't end in an officer being celebrated. 

Just my POV,

FF17

does anyone here know why lesser dangerous criminals are not able to work back their debt to society like they are in the United Sates? I am just curious. 

You drive down through the states and you see chain gangs cleaning up garbage out of highway ditches etc? Why dont we have these same programs in canada...man the 401 could use a good cleaning.

anyways...I think there is a line here that a large majority of people sit on where the death penalty is 100% ok. 

I think my opinion is that in instances of open obvious mass indiscriminate murder the person revokes their "life card" and we just eliminate these individuals from the gene pool to try save some money.

The problem is still that at the end of the day, its a damn hard job for someone to do, and someone has to do it. The logistics are not necessarily easy for the people involved to cope with.

Man oh man...that cop, what a brave brave brave guy he is. Incredible.

Edited by AKRISONER

1 hour ago, FishFinder17 said:

I understand that its' frustrating that we taxpayers are footing the bill for this idiot's jail term but remember that happens every single day. People get arrested, sentenced to jail time, and we pay for it. It's the way the system works. Not saying its right or fair, but it is what it is. 

I try to look at this from PC Lam's point of view. I highly doubt any of us on this board have been forced to take someone's life in the line of duty. It's more than just "taking out a scumbag". It's flashbacks, PTSD, judgement, time off work, and something he would have to live and deal with for the rest of his life. 

Instead he followed his training perfectly and we should all commend him for that. It's easy for us to sit in our armchairs and say he should have done this or that, but at the end of the day he did the right thing. 

Suggesting he should have shot him is giving police the power of judge and jury, and we've seen many instances where that doesn't end in an officer being celebrated. 

Just my POV,

FF17

Excellent post.

26 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

Excellent post FF17.

Agreed!

No doubt the cop acted incredibly and in hindsight did the right thing.  I'm sure many of the family members of the victims would have preferred a different outcome and had that different outcome prevailed we would very likely still be applauding him (the cop) for his actions.

It is truly a unique circumstance and one that will be infinitely debated.

4 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

does anyone here know why lesser dangerous criminals are not able to work back their debt to society like they are in the United Sates? I am just curious. 

You drive down through the states and you see chain gangs cleaning up garbage out of highway ditches etc? Why dont we have these same programs in canada...man the 401 could use a good cleaning.

Government unions is probably one of the reasons.  They would consider that taking work away from the unionized city workers; and there is truth to that view point.