Toronto Terrorist Attack

AKRISONER

27 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

My co-workers mom saw the whole thing. She was a block away. Thank god she is alive but she says every time she closes her eyes she sees it. 

I couldn't imagine that, I heard about a guy giving an interview shortly after it took place and he puked in the middle of the interview

I think we should hold back on the terrorist comments until we know the facts. Otherwise we call ALL people who commit mass murder terrorists, and I don't see that happening anywhere.

What's interesting as well, there's possible Facebook postings that suggest he's part of the INCEL movement. Sounds extremely 'not a full deck' kind of thing and why he may have done this. Again, I can't see how he can do the math that leads to mowing down 25 people, leaving 10 dead and many who will suffer from ptsd. Can't even imagine the horror.

Also wondered if he specifically chose that area of Yonge St. as it's also Koreatown and he possibly harboured hatred towards Asians. Dunno, but why Finch south ?

I appreciate your politically correctness, but mass murderer or terrorist, or Asian killer, whatever, same pos to me, this country is messed when a guy that does that gets defended, maybe he has a syndrome or something lol, it could have been your wife and kids mowed down, boggles my mind, I think it's sad what you're saying,I'm over and out on this one

Edited by chris.brock

def not a pc guy but I just don't like seeing that label thrown around so easily is all and no way am I defending him whatsoever. Very far from it. I was up there and saw the tarps and I've seen enough of this over the years that I'm losing faith in people as a species. Regardless, the guy deserves everything coming at him. Can't believe the cop showed incredible restraint apprehending him. 

Edited by woodenboater

2 hours ago, lew said:

After the bus crash in Saskatchewan and now this cowards slaughter of so many innocent people, April has been a pretty sad month for Canada.  

absolutely and I really hope this is it for the rest of the year. please. I also see cities taking a hard look at open spaces and how they can be secured from these types of acts. Bollards and lots of them, esp at Dundas Sq

35 minutes ago, BillM said:

This wasn't a terrorist attack.

I'm with you on this one.

To me a terrorist attack needs a political, religious or otherwise ideological motive.

It appears that this was a lone loser hoping to take a few people with him while committing suicide by cop. Except he can't even do that right and got caught instead of killed.

Of course, if info comes out later that he was connected to a terrorist group or motivated by ideological reasons, I will stand corrected. Until then though, I'm going with loner loser.

I don't get out much, I've never heard of this INCEL thing until last night. A similar motive in California a few years ago because some guy couldn't get laid. I don't get it. I'm sure glad I'm not in my 20's today.

Thoughts and prayers to the victims, their families and those that had to witness this thing yesterday. Man what world do we live in today?

ive heard that the whole "INCEL" angle might actually be a total hoax. from what I understand is that there is some issues with the timestamp of the postings vs the timing of the actual act.

I guess it comes down to what people define as "terrorism" 

I stand corrected if terrorism absolutely has to be tied into a religious or political ideology.

To me this individual committed a mass murder indiscriminately and inflicted "terror" on this entire city, hence I used the word terrorism.

My girlfriend works where this all happened as well, she is very rattled by what she witnessed, multiple dead bodies bleeding out strung throughout the street. Not a good scene at all. So sad.

My thoughts on this... there are a number of government buildings in the area and he may have been trying to make a point. There's a Government of Canada building, Armed Forces, TDSB Head Office to name a few.

My wife's boss is at 5050 Yonge. Her comment via a tweet - "Noone wants to see bodies laying on the street through there office window."

HH

The legal definition of "terrorism", just for context:

In Canada, section 83.01 of the Criminal Code[1] defines terrorism as an act committed "in whole or in part for a political, religious or ideological purpose, objective or cause" with the intention of intimidating the public "…with regard to its security, including its economic security, or compelling a person, a government or a domestic or an international organization to do or to refrain from doing any act." 

Edited by G.mech

Labels do matter and I really don't like when we hype everything to the ninth degree...like home invasions for a burglary. I'm all for labeling Islamic terrorism or white terrorism but this was a mass murder by  guy with a screw loose and an axe to grind.

Also I don't buy the conspiracy hoax angle.

27 minutes ago, scuro2 said:

Also I don't buy the conspiracy hoax angle.

I think you are misinterpreting what I was referring to. News has come out that he may have been an INCEL. Ive heard that these posts may not have been real and the media has admitted that they were unable to verify the posts.

No conspiracy about the event happening, his actual motive remains up in the air. Thats all I was commenting on.

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I don't get out much, I've never heard of this INCEL thing until last night. A similar motive in California a few years ago because some guy couldn't get laid. I don't get it. I'm sure glad I'm not in my 20's today.

Thoughts and prayers to the victims, their families and those that had to witness this thing yesterday. Man what world do we live in today?

Unfortunately fhere isnt anything to get from this OI. Sometimes there are no answers for these types of acts that make any sense. 

Lets not forget there are generations that have and continue to live through worse than this. Only those are in fact, acts of terrorism.

Edited by moxie