Single hooks for large spoons and jerk baits and non-classic Siwash hooks

scuro2

Those of you who fish for large fish and want to avoid trebles are often told to use Siwash hooks and they there are newer updates to this standard hook. The classic straight “J” profile logically isn’t ideal either to hook or hold fish. The guys down south recommend hooks like, Big Gun or Shout Kudako wide gap. Also do I want the same single hook on both a spoon and jerk bait? Some will run one single and a treble on a jb.

Edited by scuro2
better understanding that new upadted hooks are still considered Siwash

if you plan on releasing them, a single siwash makes a lot of sense.  much easier on the fish and you.  i have not really seen a difference in hookups/lost fish.  i've fished with all trebles replaced by singles on crankbaits and sometimes that will even give a little more action to the lure.  certain cranks with three trebles get the middle removed completely.

I had luck replacing trebles with these, but always used the traditional Siwash on trolling flutter spoons, these were used on smaller pier casting spoons and sometimes worm harnesses and tail hooks on body baits too . The eye  is closed so you had to use a split ring, the Siwash we used was open and you closed it on a solid welded ring.

http://mustad-fishing.com/eam/product/mustad-beak-hook-92553s-ss92553s/

I use single hooks for most of my hardware. I always try to fish close to the bottom so single hooks will help a great deal with hangups. You can use traditional siwash hooks and twist them a bit yourself or you can simply use a large regular treble and cut two of the tynes off. Musky guys often take one tyne off trebles leaving two pointing out from the bottom of the bait. It leads to better hookups and saves expensive musky baits from getting chewed by hook rash  which can wreck wooden baits. This is  particularly. the case for Lake St Clair trolling lures like  Woodies which would barely last one outing trolled with big trebles.