darkwater

cheaper braids,are there any quality cheaper braids?

i was reading a thread on braids and it made me wonder if any cheaper brands exist that are as good as the premium braids

if anyone uses a cheaper brand with success please name the brand...id love to hear about it

I use a line by sufix that i have only been able to find at C.T.  "Sufix Fuse". It's $14.99 for 125 yards of 20 lb test.  It casts very smoothly I have had no issues with it yet.  20lb test is the strongest I have found but it's perfect for what I do with it. 

For the amount of times I have to replace braid, which is minimal, I don't cheap out.  Besides, my local tackle shop spools power pro for a very reasonable price per yard.  I don't even bother buying spools anymore unless it's nanofil which he doesn't carry.  Some things aren't worth cheaping out on given the fact you seldom need to replace them.

8 minutes ago, porkpie said:

For the amount of times I have to replace braid, which is minimal, I don't cheap out.  Besides, my local tackle shop spools power pro for a very reasonable price per yard.  I don't even bother buying spools anymore unless it's nanofil which he doesn't carry.  Some things aren't worth cheaping out on given the fact you seldom need to replace them.

Wish there was a place around here that spooled them up. Packaged price, is out to lunch.

I bought 300 yds of 10 lbs Chinese braid from wish.com for about $7 CAD including shipping.

It looks good. I've been too scared to try it though, lol, probably try it this summer.

Edited by chris.brock

56 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

I bought 300 yds of 10 lbs Chinese braid from wish.com for about $7 CAD including shipping.

It looks good. I've been too scared to try it though, lol, probably try it this summer.

I wouldn't worry too much Chris. You have to actually be able to catch a fish first. So, spool up!

35 minutes ago, adempsey said:

I wouldn't worry too much Chris. You have to actually be able to catch a fish first. So, spool up!

BAAAHAHAHAHAHA

1 hour ago, OhioFisherman said:

LOL, sounded like a challenge to me? Fish off!

a couple comedians

I'm all for saving some cash but given the price of most lures I'm not sure if saving some money on braid is the best choice. The brand name stuff does go on sale.

I use power pro but I have had it fray very quickly when I'm casting with a heavy muskie bait and a stiff rod where the line meets the 1st eye. Gotta strip some off every couple hours.

I tried spooling a reel with Spider Wire when it first came out years ago, after my first day of using it I took it off and put mono back on. I spooled up a couple of reels with 65# power pro years ago when I still had hopes of getting back up north, I managed to use it for an hour or so here on a lake that has muskies and had no problems with it.

PowerPro is the most economical fishing line made. I consistently get 5 seasons of use on one spooling of PPro, especially if I am using a leader . Yea, it will fade, but I have never lost a fish to old PPro. 

On 20/04/2018 at 12:17 PM, Cosmos said:

I have spooled most of my reels with KastKing Braid from AliExpress.

It's cheap and quality is great in my opinion.  Tested them all last year - was pretty happy.

https://kastking.aliexpress.com/store/group/300m-Braided-Line/216889_260441081.html

Can confirm!

KastKing is a great bang for the buck. 

On 20/04/2018 at 9:42 PM, chris.brock said:

I use power pro but I have had it fray very quickly when I'm casting with a heavy muskie bait and a stiff rod where the line meets the 1st eye. Gotta strip some off every couple hours.

I would check the eyes on your rod for cracks and chips and replace as necessary.  Rub a qtip on them if it catches it needs fixin

I have no issue like this casting 8oz baits 

5 minutes ago, Raf said:

I would check the eyes on your rod for cracks and chips and replace as necessary.  Rub a qtip on them if it catches it needs fixin

I have no issue like this casting 8oz baits 

Yes, Raf is right on that, I have seen rods with those ceramic? inserts have cracks or chips in them.

i dont know why i called them eyes.  they're guides.. and if any are missing the insert or are cracked, chipped get it replaced. an 8oz bait puts a certain amount of stress where the line meets the guide, now imagine a 40lb fish.   *ping* heartbreak.

the only time you should see fraying like that, that often, is if the braid makes contact with the canadian shield or zebra mussels.  this is a reason to run long wire or fluoro leaders when trolling

Edited by Raf