Baitcasting Rods

bobowski

Hey guys. I'm in the market for a new Baitcasting rod. I'm going to be using it for mainly Pike and Bass and I was looking for some advice on what I should buy. I was thinking that something around 7 foot that is medium/heavy with a fast action would be best. I'm looking to spend in the $100-$200 range. If any of you guys could suggest any rods in this price range that you would highly recommend it would be much appreciated. Thanks

St.Croix Avid, 7ft Med-heavy.   Can't beat the lifetime warranty (Which I've used more then once)..    Great for bass or pike.  

After doing some reading St.Croix got rid of the lifetime warranty and put a 15 year warranty in it's place.  For me, that's basically the same, lol.

Edited by BillM

13 minutes ago, BillM said:

St.Croix Avid, 7ft Med-heavy.   Can't beat the lifetime warranty (Which I've used more then once)..    Great for bass or pike.  

Does St. Croix still offer lifetime warranties? Heard it was changed to 5 years?

I'm bias towards the Shimano line because I work in Peterborough and there is a Shimano repair centre 10 min drive from my work.  So its a great local resource for me (should I need it ... which I have twice).  But that being said, I've also purchased a few Daiwa reels these past 12 months and been quite pleased with them.  But for rods, I've been happy with my Shimano's.  I'd recommend the new Curado line.  I have a couple of the Crucial rods (which is now replaced by Curado) and they are very nice.  If wanting to spend a little less, I also have a Shimano Compre and been happy with it.

But truth be told ... any rod that is over $150 will be a quality rod.

Edited by TheKawarthaAngler

the original poster Bobowski mentioned he wanted a baitcaster rod to target Pike and Bass ... I have Crucial and Compre spinning rods , but would like to get a baitcaster to target specifically bigger pike  when we do fishing trips in Northern Ontario

I plan to pair it with a Curado 200 reel

Edited by Jds63

12 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

i will mention i had a compre MH baitcaster and it snapped right in half casting a 110 style bait last year...i was not impressed at all...

That sounds unusual.  Shimano use to have lifetime warranty, but I don't think they do now.  I'm pretty sure if I brought that rod into the Shimano repair centre they'd do what I did when I broke a rod a couple years back ... ship it to their 'rod' centre and send me a new one ... no questions asked.  :)

4 hours ago, bobowski said:

Swimbaits, spinners and jerk baits most likely. 

If you keep to lighter wire jig heads for your swimbaits, you could probably get away with something 6'8 to 7' - you don't want too fast an action - you want a bit of softness at the tip - look for rods marketed for Jerkbait and that should do you for spinners and smaller swimbaits - Alpha Angler makes a slasher which looks pretty sweet - if I could justify another rod, it would be one I'd get.

Shimano Convergence 6'10" spinnerbait rod is an excellent general purpose rod that could probably handle what you want, too (although I'd probably choose a spinning outfit for spinners and smaller swimbaits, if I'm honest).  I haven't been able to find one for a while, but you should find something akin in crucial or cumara lines (I don't think compre had the "spinnerbait" rod). ....nothin' like a new combo!!