Walleye in FMZ17

GBW

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, Garnet said:

I'm  hoping Canada /US walleye Tourney starts going to Tri Lakes.

It would not be without issue but it would return a little of the discovery flavour.

God, I hope not.........

17 minutes ago, KawarthaGuy said:

Hey Capt,

One more thought on Pigeon.  I recall reading years back (OOD?) that the Ministry created an artificial spawning reef off Big Island for the Walleye.  That might have a lot to do with numbers coming back.

Kawartha Guy - Go Jays!

It was the Kawartha Anglers Association that did the work.  It was along the east side of the lake just south of the Big island.  I'm not sure the numbers are back, but it's on the right track if everyone continues to respect the slot and limit.  Hopefully in five years we will see numbers back to normal or close.

10 minutes ago, jimmer said:

It was the Kawartha Anglers Association that did the work.  It was along the east side of the lake just south of the Big island.  I'm not sure the numbers are back, but it's on the right track if everyone continues to respect the slot and limit.  Hopefully in five years we will see numbers back to normal or close.

I dont know about you, but when ive gone around there with the electronics running, there are a hell of a lot of eyes sitting there...they are timid buggers though.

It was that report and the use of trap nets.

Trap nets are a square box and a small gauge net going to shore.

The deep side of trap would be 8 ft totally missing the walleye.

So Kawrartha Assessment was completely missing the walleye.

I was catch incredible amounts of walleye of every size. I just joined Scugog

assessment   my misstake.

3 hours ago, KawarthaGuy said:

Hey Capt,

One more thought on Pigeon.  I recall reading years back (OOD?) that the Ministry created an artificial spawning reef off Big Island for the Walleye.  That might have a lot to do with numbers coming back.

Kawartha Guy - Go Jays!

Cool. Hadn’t heard this  before. 

Hey Jimmer,

Thanks for clearing up the reefer and on 4/20!  Respecting the slot is not always happening on Rice:

-American tourists routinely keeping "overs" and bass out-of-season

-locals that go ice fishing, catch a Walleye, hide it in the snow and return after dark to retrieve it

We all have to do our part.

Kawartha Guy - Go MNR!

Kawartha Anglers was attempt by MNR to down load real study's to the public.

A Minister from Port Perry ran the over all stuff.

We did good stuff with Scugog. Anywhere gabion baskets are used walleye spawn.

MNR bio aren't anglers so they don't know walleye avoid shallow areas that just tapper slowly

to zero and that's all of Scugog.

Should be a gov program to use gabion baskets to stabilize shorelines on Sugog creating

more available spawning area.  

I forgot to mention MNR bio are trained to hate gabion  baskets but they are 

right for Scugog.  

Edited by Garnet

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, captpierre said:

Cool. Hadn’t heard this  before. 

I think the one downfall for lake spawners is that those beds get covered in algae.  I'm not sure if that affects the spawn of not.

Walleye are podcasters so the big girls swim along and 2-3-4-6 males are very close milting.

Another  factor is Carp every big girl walleye has her boys and they will be covered up by Carp

sucking up the eggs.

It's also why walleye want a lip at shore or in Scugog case gabion basket to back wash gravel clean. 

Edited by Garnet

• 2 months later...

I was watching a youtube episode on Walleye and it was right out front of my cottage in the north bay, I have been catching them up there all about 20" and a few weeks ago got my biggest at 24" in 6-10' of water. Got one Friday near the park 21" long and they seem to be a bit meatier this year. Beautiful colours and they all go back.

• Like 1

Of all the K lakes my home lake c a na l has seen the worst drop in eyes IMO.  I've been there since '95 and even back then it wasn't a hot lake for them but they could be had on cranks and incidentals.  Was reading in the "good ol' days" this place was an eye factory. Since '95 I've witnessed the pike move in, few years the pike were the dominant species, nowadays the sort of died down and it's become of soup of thick vegetation, panfish and bass.  I've even caught bowfin in there which tells you how soupy it's become.  They drop the water level in the fall quite a bit, mix in the pike, roaming carp and abundance of opportunistic pannies and the outcome is I can't buy an eye from here in the past 6-7 years.  I always think maybe they's really tight in the veg where they cant be picked up on electronics so it makes them impossible to target, they went extinct in the lake or I really suck (which is a great possibility lol).  But a slot on this lake wouldn't helpme thinks this is one of those lakes that eyes become only fairy tales.

I like the slot. The alternative to a slot, is lowering the limit and 4 is a good number.

I read somewhere that 80% of walleye are kept, much higher than any other fish. No wonder there is trouble finding in-slot walleye on some lakes.

I'm not sure exactly why the numbers are going down, i'm guessing its due to walleye spawning in the same areas and more and better fisherman (with electronics) knowing these spots.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:24 PM, riddickulous said:

I like the slot. The alternative to a slot, is lowering the limit and 4 is a good number.

I read somewhere that 80% of walleye are kept, much higher than any other fish. No wonder there is trouble finding in-slot walleye on some lakes.

I'm not sure exactly why the numbers are going down, i'm guessing its due to walleye spawning in the same areas and more and better fisherman (with electronics) knowing these spots.

I also like the slot. The limit is already 4 in fmz17.  This spring we caught at least 5 different year classes on Pigeon. Below, in and above the slot.

I think the main thing is people keep walleye more than other fish. And lots of people don't care about the slot. Ive seen people take some big walleye out of Kawartha lakes ignoring the 19" slot limit. To some people they don't know there is a slot and they just catch it and eat it. But these are also the same people who will eat musky if they catch them. 

• Sad 1