It's about time!! NF

grimsbylander

When they started selling Beer and Wine in the grocery stores I noticed they were only stocking higher end wines and they weren't cheap, I don't know about today. A better selection of both would be good I agree Bill. If I remember you could only get a 6 pack which is much more $ than buying a 24. There are only 6 packs in the picture. No way I'm buying 6 packs there. Why I wonder only 6ers? Oh I know, they make more money that's why.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

2 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

I often wondered about some of the laws by location? A beer store and alcohol store? One place we vacationed and fished at in New York was in a dry township, no alcohol sales.

If someone knows why I would be interested to find out. As far as I know both are under separate corporations. I still remember going into The LCBO and having to fill out a slip of paper then discreetly handing it to the clerk and then they went in the back to get your order. Half the time it was  wrong because they couldn't read the code someone hand wrote. At times line ups out the door and around the corner, and line ups for parking, especially a Saturday or before a Holiday. I was told back then it was because of theft. Efficient eh?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I was actually impressed by the selection they had considering it was a first go around. I only snapped one pic but there were two separate kiosks with 4 sides each carrying a good selection of domestics, imports and craft beer. But overall in the province, I get what you're saying arout selection. Funny, I remember going to the old brown brick "Liquor Control Board of Ontario" (very official) with my parents and seeing them fill out a little white order slip just to buy one of about 12 different selections. Always the same....nasty 5 Star Whiskey! Lol

Our local Loblaws had a much better selection than LCBO across the street when it was first allowed to sell. Now the variety is reduced quite a bit,presumably based on sales, but they are still about equal to LCBO.

OI--They still put the booze in paper bags though so nobody knows what you got in there!! 

2 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

I remember going to the old brown brick "Liquor Control Board of Ontario" (very official) with my parents and seeing them fill out a little white order slip just to buy one of about 12 different selections. Always the same....nasty 5 Star Whiskey! Lol

That or silk tassel. LOL

10 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

If someone knows why I would be interested to find out. As far as I know both are under separate corporations. I still remember going into The LCBO and having to fill out a slip of paper then discreetly handing it to the clerk and then they went in the back to get your order. Half the time it was  wrong because they couldn't read the code someone hand wrote. At times line ups out the door and around the corner, and line ups for parking, especially a Saturday or before a Holiday. I was told back then it was because of theft. Efficient eh?

Ohio used to have " state stores ", they were the only place to buy a bottle of high test alcohol, you could buy beer, wine, and blended " water whiskey " like 40 proof in the grocery stores. LOL, unless you knew your local bartender well and were willing to pay double or more for a bottle to go?

The state store employees got paid pretty well, were union, healthcare, pensions, and there must have been a couple of dozen " state stores " in the Cleveland area alone. The stores had liquor in locked display cases and the same deal with the slip of paper and getting your purchase. If you  were under age? Don't bother trying a " state store " to get a bottle, it wasn't going to happen!

One of our governors, as a cost cutting measure did away with the state stores, if you believe that line?

When I was in my 20's my Uncle had  a Gin Mill off the I-90 S near Darian Lake NY I tended bar and truckers and locals would come in and pick up a 5th of Keslser's or 4 Feathers and a 6 pack to wash that gut rot swill down. In some US counties it was legal to sell booze out of a bar.

I remember filling out those slips at the LCBO, I was either underage or I really am getting old.

I think Ontario was late to the party because of the long time Brewers Retail arrangement with the major breweries that restricted what could be done.  Its only relatively recently that they allowed beer to be sold in the LCBO too.  I think the Brewers Retain arrangement provided them exclusivity in some way.

I am not sure if they still do it, but in Alberta you could buy beer at a bar.  Its called “off-licence” sales.  That just seemed weird to me for some reason, but I guess since they have the process for checking for underage or impaired buyers in the bar, why not.

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

I think Ontario was late to the party because of the long time Brewers Retail arrangement with the major breweries that restricted what could be done.  Its only relatively recently that they allowed beer to be sold in the LCBO too.  I think the Brewers Retain arrangement provided them exclusivity in some way.

I am not sure if they still do it, but in Alberta you could buy beer at a bar.  Its called “off-licence” sales.  That just seemed weird to me for some reason, but I guess since they have the process for checking for underage or impaired buyers in the bar, why not.

LCBO and Brewers were monopolies created by the province. LCBO was controlled by the province, Brewers was owned and operated by the big 3:  Molsons, Labatts, Carling-O'Keefe. Up until the late 70's the only brands in an LCBO were foreign, and Brewers only sold their own big 3 labels. The first cracks in the wall were the introduction of Brador as a strong beer, and Miller as the first non stubby non Canuck beer.

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

That and Blue Nun.   Well known in the day as "panty remover":P

I predate the popular " Duck "wines by a year or two, the favourite panty remover in my day was Mateus sparkling rosy ,  more class than a duck wine if you ask me. 

Edited by dave524

58 minutes ago, dave524 said:

I predate the popular " Duck "wines by a year or two, the favourite panty remover in my day was Mateus sparkling rosy ,  more class than a duck wine if you ask me. 

I enjoyed this wine when I would head to fish the pool for the weekend in Niagara. That with some pizza and wings. Cheap buzz, but was still up and early, for the mornings fish.

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

Mateus and Mogan David were my Mother's fave's back in the early 70's.