$3,000 fine for over double limit

farsider

I read about this on MNR Watch. Disgusting to say the least. It appears fines being levied now are much more punitive than I have read about in the past and still just a slap on the wrist. I believe they should throw the book at each and every poacher out there. Some of the fines to deter poaching is a joke, not just some I should say mostly all.  In the 3 years or so that I get the reports I have never ever heard of someone loosing their vehicles,  boats, sleds etc. A few have forfeited there guns. When punitive measures only really hurt the criminal will they get to the point it is a deterrent to poach for them and others. Big deal a guy gets a $500.00 fine and looses his Fishing license if he or she ever had one to loose in the 1st place. They sell the fish and game so a small fine is no big deal. Just a part of doing business to these morons.

Rant complete.

I highly recommend you all to get the monthly newsletter MNR Watch sends out if you already haven't. It may be disturbing. Hunting, fishing and environmental charges and fines are passed on to the public. They aren't affiliated with the MNR or MOE. They just pass on the news and MNR reports and rulings to you every month. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

They need to absolutely hammer one of them to send a message. This same old slap on the wrist stuff isn't working. He didn't friggin walk there...take his car, place a fine and take away his license. Trust me, the white brigade community will hear all about it. 

Before this thread goes off the rails, I see locals doing more damage to the fishery more often than anyone. I'm not saying I agree with this fellow keeping more than his limit, but it would be nice if people made it about his actions and not his race.

I fish a river in the Kawarthas, always at night. I regularly (almost every time there) see white guys take off in their truck after catching a fish then come back in 5-10 minutes. I'm betting there are slot fish in their freezer at home but I don't blame all white people for their actions.

Oh yeah, I'm white, live in Markham, and follow the regs.

Edited by Dutch01

Thought it a bit excessive, for a long time there was no limit on Crappie , they were considered an invasive species like Rock Bass in some lakes, a guy shoots a doe without an antlerless tag and gets $1250 on the same page , now that seems backwards to me.

Just to be clear, the Fish & Wildlife Act fines are  mostly 'Set Fines' by the province or in some cases a range of fines.  The judge can't just arbitrarily 'throw the book' at somebody if he's having a bad day or wants to set an example... 

2 hours ago, G.mech said:

Just to be clear, the Fish & Wildlife Act fines are  mostly 'Set Fines' by the province or in some cases a range of fines.  The judge can't just arbitrarily 'throw the book' at somebody if he's having a bad day or wants to set an example... 

Ya I think the fine is per fish actually. Its a set fine, then every fish over the limit increases the fine. But its not arbitrary, its set by the provinces act.

So its not whatever the justice feels is appropriate fine that day.

5 hours ago, salmon said:

Wow now that is just frking racist.

I will have to back up all of my “yellow bucket brigade” friends.  Too far.  Dirty arsed “white” buckets are as bad or worse IMO.  C’mon I assume you didn’t mean what u said.

I agree it's racist. Yellow or white bucket brigade is a derogatory term generally used to describe Asian shore fisherman and to imply they don't follow the regs and just fill their bucket.

I think this site is meant to be for all and we shouldn't tolerate the furthering of stereotypes that could offend OFC members who are Asian. Of course that is up to the mods as I don't own the site.

I agree, and I have noted the same behavior in my post above. I also noted that I don't hold that against all white people.  We should be calling out behavior and not colors.

I am certain there are Asian members of this site. I don't think they should have to tolerate derogatory comments in order to visit the site.

Here are two ways one could respond to the original post, I know which one should be allowed here:

"dam yellow bucket brigade, always keeping over their limit. They should go back to Markham"

"It really makes me sick seeing people not obeying the fishing regs. They ought to throw the book at him for keeping more than his limit".

One response calls out wrong behavior, the other is a knee jerk slur against an entire people in response to a report on the actions of one person.

Edited by Dutch01

It's a pretty widely known reference. Most anyone I know or fish with would know what is meant by it. The comment about Markham (a very mixed ethnic community) appears to be meant to clear it up, in case anyone want sure.

Glad to hear Akri, who I've talked to in PM before and know to be a good guy, didn't mean it that way.

As I have said before the only poaching of fish I've ever seen was done by Americans. I could say they were the cooler brigade ( beer goes into camp and a cooler worth of fish fillets leaves the camp ). I could harp on Americans every time an American is caught poaching fish....but then that would be really jerk like and why? Unless someone is going to state with evidence that the vast majority of all poachers are one group only can we just stop with racist tinged threads? That goes double for native racist tinged threads.

If you get the MNR Watch reports you will find that the most fined are not those with Asian surnames in the near north i.e. Nippising, most have French surnames. I personally didn't know what is meant by "white bucket brigade" other than those that fill them. Italian, Croatian, Serbian. Polish, French, Irish, Scottish, American, Klingon or anyone else.

The fine seems to be in line with the offence this time.. 3 thousand dollars is a lot for too many crappie. They are one of my favourite fish but in most lakes they are actually invasive. Hopefully this sends a signal that limits will be enforced...