AKRISONER

Paracord Trolling Motor Rope Replacement

anyone tried this out?

My ropes pooched but ive never really messed around with paracord. i figure i could switch it out each year if it starts to wear down?

Im considering making my own G force handle at some point using a lawn mower replacement handle and Dog tie coated cable. Lil DYI project.,

Go to a small engines shop and get a replacement pull cord for a lawn mower. Para cord will only let you down in a short time. 

S. 

Replacing the broken cord on my Motor Guide was fairly simple really. I think if I remember I used a stiff piece of wire leader  as a fish line with the cord tapped to it. I always keep some cordage and a roll of electrical and duct tape on the boat. It took all of 10 minutes. I always intended to change it to a better quality cord but it is still there. Now I have another to do when it stops snowing.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

3 hours ago, Sinker said:

Go to a small engines shop and get a replacement pull cord for a lawn mower. Para cord will only let you down in a short time. 

S. 

They have pull cord @ Canadian Tire. ;)

11 minutes ago, Lape0019 said:

$13.00 for the same handle on amazon and a couple of feet of aircraft cable and you are good to go!

i found the right handle, they make them for lawn mowers and now all of a sudden i cant find it!

I used parachute cord from Walmart to hold down the tarps on my wood piles, that stuff seemed to deteriorate quickly when exposed to sun  and weather. I replaced one once and use braided nylon similar to light anchor rope.

Th marine.. makes steel cable and pull handle. Have one om my motorguide digital and.my.112 foretrex never need another again

On 4/14/2018 at 10:51 AM, ecmilley said:

Th marine.. makes steel cable and pull handle. Have one om my motorguide digital and.my.112 foretrex never need another again

I know they do, and they want $50 for an 8 dollar handle and $4 worth of coated cable...i think this should make for a nice DIY project when I have a moment. 

Thanks for finding me it again lape!

Edited by AKRISONER

as others have said, paracord is not a good idea except in an emergency.  The "REAL THING" has 550 pound breaking strength, but the sheath around the nylon fibres is apt to separate.

I think this is one of those areas where the OEM part is a good idea.........

Doug