Dodge XWRP warranty scam?

Rizzo

Chrispy,

Out of curiosity, do you recall whether your refund included the cost of the warranty refund application (in my case, $395 + tax), or just the cost of the warranty + tax? All of the paperwork seems to indicate that the refund includes this cost, but they told me that it wasn't part of the refund.

Had I known that I was going to pay $500 to possibly get $1000 back, I probably wouldn't have bothered signing up for the warranty refund in the first place.

Thanks,

Lee

Hey Lee, It was just what I paid for the warranty....I think it was around $2500.00 bucks I got back so I don't think the tax was included.....after all the crap I went through to get the money, I took what I got and was happy I didn't get ripped off totally....the guy that I buy my vehicles helped me get all the receipts from the dealership and even faxed them in for me.....I went back and gave him $250 bucks in Keg and Liquor store cards....so ask the person that sold you the vehicle if they are still there.....might be able to help you out a little.....

Chrispy!

Any update on the issue Rizzo? As someone said this thread has a common thing throughout. Chrysler vehicle and service issues. Each and every person I know well that has one is not happy. One good pal had the tires rotated and a few weeks later a wheel came off, yes he torqued them, he is a retired Class A mechanic. Lucky no one was killed. Plenty of fender damage and a new wheel, tire and lug nuts were required, he fought with Chrysler for months to no avail, including hiring a Lawyer. He almost fell over when he got the estimate for 1 wheel, rotor and lug nuts, the nuts were 70 some odd bucks each, Wowza. I had an 02' Intrepid I leased and bought out. That thing cost me a pretty penny as soon as the warranty period was over, 3 transmission communications modules, whatever that is, at $1000.00 a pop. You couldn't pay me to own a late model Chrysler, OK maybe a Hellcat.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Update is this...tonight I send an email to the General Manager of Waterloo Dodge. She is the one who promised up and down the warranty is NOT too good to be true, and that truly, if you don't use it you get all your money back. She is also the one who I have been butting heads with (they won't stand behind what they sell...just tell me to hire a lawyer then I will get my money). I am going to propose a reasonable settlement because at the end of the day I want this nightmare over. If she refuses? I have many many plans, one includes taking both her and Dodge Waterloo to court if it has to go that far. But many things up my sleeve. Crazy thing is, if she had just helped in the first place (not told me that I am irking her, not telling me she is too busy to return my call,  not telling me to hire a lawyer, not hanging up on me) things would have been totally different. They are their own worst enemy. Help me get my money and you have found a loyal customer. Basically tell me to get lost? You have formed an enemy and a tenacious one at that! Don't these businesses understand you are ruining yourself if you don't solve people's issues?

Back in the day Toyota dealers used to sell an extended warranty called International Warranty. It was NOT in any way affiliated with Toyota other that they seemed to be the largest, but not only, group of dealers selling it. That was a great warranty that did pay out, EXCEPT when  they went bust, leaving everybody holding the bag. As I remember there was no recourse through the dealers and there was lots of bad blood, but people kept  buying Toyotas. 

Now imagine a warranty company that goes bust covering Toyotas, with no refund ever offered re non use of warranty service and compare that to a warranty that covers Chryco's AND offers a refund in the unlikely event that the warranty is never used and I give you TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.  Hopefully Rizzo gets his refund but I think anyone who has read this post should consider NEVER buying vehicals from or extended warranties  for Chryco/Dodge/Jeep or the Koreans, or the coming Chinese brands. Needless to say if Russians still sold cars in Canada they would be super suspect too. Many in the car busines would also look askance at Nissan, Mazda, GM and Ford as well but that's a big chunk of the Automotive business. Even the Germans do not make cars as reliably as in the past and I've heard lots of complaints about engines in Honda/Acura as well. I will add that Honda small outboards are suspect. My buddy bought a 2017 Honda outboard that had rpm issues out of the box and after much back and forth re fixing the motor Honda gave up and said they could not fix a brand new motor. They have offered a complete refund that has yet to be paid with dealer comments saying it's a problem with all 2017 Honda's up to 9 hp.

Makes it hard to carry a positive mental attitude about modrern manufactuing. Auto finance/back office has always been a den of thieves to a level that would curl your hair.

3 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Any update on the issue Rizzo? As someone said this thread has a common thing throughout. Chrysler vehicle and service issues. Each and every person I know well that has one is not happy. One good pal had the tires rotated and a few weeks later a wheel came off, yes he torqued them, he is a retired Class A mechanic. Lucky no one was killed. Plenty of fender damage and a new wheel, tire and lug nuts were required, he fought with Chrysler for months to no avail, including hiring a Lawyer. He almost fell over when he got the estimate for 1 wheel, rotor and lug nuts, the nuts were 70 some odd bucks each, Wowza. I had an 02' Intrepid I leased and bought out. That thing cost me a pretty penny as soon as the warranty period was over, 3 transmission communications modules, whatever that is, at $1000.00 a pop. You couldn't pay me to own a late model Chrysler, OK maybe a Hellcat.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with 'Chrysler' (who is actually FCA now) service issues.  If you read this through carefully, it is a third party warranty company that the OP has his beef with because he DID NOT use his warranty which seems to me indicates that he hasn't had any serious issues with the vehicle..  The dealer however doesn't seem to want to help him out which is the sad part.  

Edited by G.mech

Same guy that bought the Honda outboard has a Ram diesel 2500 for towing 3 snowmobiles and, at work, a welding rig. He has had nothing but trouble with it but there are very few options for his circumstances. You want to buy an FCA product keep this thread in mind  and remember the stink starts at the head and moves down. If you have options look elsewhere, and at all times beware of backoffice closers at car dealerships. That's where they make their money and it is always at the customers expense. Warranties are best when offered by the manufacturer but if you talk frankly with Chrysler/FCA dealers they will tell you that there have been numerous issues with factory warranties FOR THEM. This should not effect you as a retail customer but keep this issue in mind when you have a warranty issue and they can't find or solve the problem. In there car business there are many ways to skin a cat. You are the cat.

3 hours ago, G.mech said:

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with 'Chrysler' (who is actually FCA now) service issues.  If you read this through carefully, it is a third party warranty company that the OP has his beef with because he DID NOT use his warranty which seems to me indicates that he hasn't had any serious issues with the vehicle..  The dealer however doesn't seem to want to help him out which is the sad part.  

You need to relax man. I DO NOT need to read  anything carefully as 'I'm not being paid to pay attention. Relax will you, it's a discussion forum for God sakes and nothing more. Will there be a test?

7 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

You need to relax man. I DO NOT need to read  anything carefully as 'I'm not being paid to pay attention. Relax will you, it's a discussion forum for God sakes and nothing more. Will there be a test?

Okay, make you  a deal...... I will relax if you try thinking twice before posting comments that are barely relevant to the conversation at hand because you don't get paid to read the thread.  How's that???  I don't get paid to relax either but I could give it a try I guess, I'm pretty flexible.

Edited by G.mech

7 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with 'Chrysler'

This is a question not a statement. Doesn't this dealership (Not Chrysler) have everything to do with this. They are the ones that sold the warrantee and profited by the sale, to the customer. This may not be a good one but here an example of what I'm trying to say and this really happened. I sold an engine that I bought from a machine shop. There's an issue with the engine and the machine shop won't repair it. My customer wants to sue the machine shop; but is told (By his lawyer) that he'd have to sue me; because I'm the one that sold it to him. I would then have to go after the machine shop; if I wanted compensation.

So if Rizzo paid the dealership; are they not the ones to honor the contract? Maybe there's a waiver that releases the dealership in the signed contract?

Dan.

you are with me Dan. The dealership keeps telling me to go after xwrp (which i have, trust me). Since I am having troubles with xwrp...I go back to the source. The dealership took my $, the dealership convinced me this was a no risk situation etc. Not to mention, the dealership (according to my contract) kept $1800 and xwrp got $465. The dealership made the promises, the dealership made the big profit, hence I have chosen to pursue them. And yes, my feeling is that if the dealership wants to pursue xwrp for whatever they had to pay me, that is up to them

Edited by Rizzo

14 hours ago, G.mech said:

3 hours ago, DanD said:

This is a question not a statement. Doesn't this dealership (Not Chrysler) have everything to do with this. They are the ones that sold the warrantee and profited by the sale, to the customer. This may not be a good one but here an example of what I'm trying to say and this really happened. I sold an engine that I bought from a machine shop. There's an issue with the engine and the machine shop won't repair it. My customer wants to sue the machine shop; but is told (By his lawyer) that he'd have to sue me; because I'm the one that sold it to him. I would then have to go after the machine shop; if I wanted compensation.

So if Rizzo paid the dealership; are they not the ones to honor the contract? Maybe there's a waiver that releases the dealership in the signed contract?

Dan.

1 hour ago, DanD said:

I'll ask my daughter, she doesn't practice business law; but someone at the firm, could possibly give us the short answer?

Dan.

Ethically, I would agree with DanD.  Chrysler should honour the terms of the agreement that they sold.  If they chose to outsource their warranty to an unethical company, that's their problem.  They should go after the warranty company to recover the funds that they pay out to their customers.

Similarly, I think Toyota should have honoured the extended warranties that they sold to their customers.  It's not the customers fault that Toyota chose to outsource their extended warranty to a financially unstable company.

Legally, I am sure that they have covered their behinds and are not liable.  I just don't think that it's an ethical way of doing business.

2 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

Ethically, I would agree with DanD.  Chrysler should honour the terms of the agreement that they sold.  If they chose to outsource their warranty to an unethical company, that's their problem.  They should go after the warranty company to recover the funds that they pay out to their customers.

Similarly, I think Toyota should have honoured the extended warranties that they sold to their customers.  It's not the customers fault that Toyota chose to outsource their extended warranty to a financially unstable company.

Legally, I am sure that they have covered their behinds and are not liable.  I just don't think that it's an ethical way of doing business.

I agree John B, my point was that it's not an issue with service department, poor service, or wheels falling off etc.    The dealer (ie sales department)  should help get this resolved whether they are legally obligated to do so or not; it's called customer service.  

So, I'm learning from this conversation that extended warranties from contracted companies might not be a good idea. I don't think I have ever bought one other than my wife insisting on it once with a used car.  I thought it was a waste of $$$$. Good luck Rizzo, I hope you can recoup some $$$$.

I will repeat. You are the cat. Do not expect the car dealersahip to be helpfull as this is not in their best interest, burning customers with shady financial instruments is in their best interest and consequently this is what they will do today and in the future. It has always been so in the auto trade, including at Toyota dealerships. Hopefully for Rizzo pressure can be brought to bear by OMVIC or the courts or even the consequences of consumer pressure.  The lesson to be had here is that finance, be it at car dealerships , at chartered banks, financial planners, brokerages, or insurance entities is a frightfully unethical business built and run by scoundrels and sanctioned by our authorities. This is unlikely to change now or ever.

As the saying goes "man is wolf to other man"

Protect yourself as best you can by resisting any sales inducement that seems to be a "no brainer" or too good to be true in your favour.  ESPECIALLY IN FINANCE

8 hours ago, jimmer said:

So, I'm learning from this conversation that extended warranties from contracted companies might not be a good idea. I don't think I have ever bought one other than my wife insisting on it once with a used car.  I thought it was a waste of $$$$. Good luck Rizzo, I hope you can recoup some $$$$.

Yes, one way to view this is that warranty refunds are a scam and Chrysler is complicit in peddling this deceitful product. Another possible take-away for anyone following this thread is this: if you buy an extended warranty (with or without a refund option), you MUST keep meticulous service records. I was lucky to get my refund, but if I had an issue and needed to use the extended warranty I would have been just as screwed. It says on the back of the warranty contract that it is the owner's obligation to maintain service records, but I simply didn't read all the fine print when I was buying the vehicle (they bury you in paperwork, and I'm sure few people read everything).

On 4/17/2018 at 3:31 PM, Rizzo said:

I am going to propose a reasonable settlement because at the end of the day I want this nightmare over.

It wasn't an extended warranty thing but I took both Ford Credit and Terrace Ford Burlington to small claims because they played the same game and blamed each other, both giving the run around. The judge nailed Terrace with the full amount and court costs.

pm me if you want, then maybe we could chat on the phone, I don't want to see these snakes win and continue screwing people

• Like 1

A couple of things Rizzo. I would be interested in hearing what OMVIC has to say about this issue. I find it hard to believe that you are the only agrieved consumer burned by this scam. Also I have in the past had issues like this get resolved when a notice to appear turned up at the dealership and the warranty provider. I think that these pricks don't realy take a complaint seriously until such time as court paperwork turns up and they have to prepare a court defense. Small claims can offer a solution and there are cost effective paraleagals that specialize in small claims. A succesful claim would include reasonable legal costs in addition to the disputed amounts. 

My daughter's coworkers will not comment on this, unless they had a chance to review the contract. She suggests to fine a law firm that offers a free consultation. Even a letter of intent from a law firm; could be enough to get them moving?

Dan 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently fighting with xwrp over the exact same thing. I have been denied for several reasons. The last one says I went over the mileage, however it was sold to me stating that it can only expire by time. So if I went over 100k before five years I still can claim the refund but I have to wait until the 5 year anniversary. I even have a letter from the dealership stating that this was the terms that i agreed to. So I'm going to take xwrp to small claims court. I will be filing sometime this month. I just need to get some input from a paralegal to help me with the claim. 

Have you resolved your  issue yet?

• Thanks 1