Late Spring

captpierre

Snowmobile trails are still awesome and lakes haven't lost an inch of ice yet, with 20 to 30 cm of fresh white stuff expected over the weekend.  I won't complain about an extended spring ice fishing season.  At this rate, I may be able to walk on water in the month of May.

1 minute ago, grimsbylander said:

I guess one cold spring totally debunks the global warming trends of 25 years. :clapping:

lol its cold where I am right now so the world definitely isnt warmer

https://climate.nasa.gov/

Science....

Those guys heading far north late may/early june for fishing trips...eeek 

Pointe Au Baril hasnt even started to thaw at all yet...if anythign its been making ice up until today basically...3 feet of solid black ice and its supposed to be cold all next week?

There is one bright side to all of this. If pickerel and pike season and then bass season are all closed for x period...and then the natural cycle is pushed way back because there is still friggin ice on the lakes...we are in for a ripper of a spring fishing season. We are pushing 3 weeks to a month behind. Unless it gets really really hot really really fast, we are going to be fishing fish that have barely spawned yet/will be insanely ravenous post spawn.

This is especially true with the Bass opener being at its absolute maximum earliest point in the month.

Last year the day before bass opener we were seeing bass still up on the beds, but the day got really hot and by the next day they had all but vanished. Im thinking much of the same this year...time will tell.

The Browns are basically just starting up on the south end of lake Ontario and its almost May!

Edited by AKRISONER

6 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

I guess one cold spring totally debunks the global warming trends of 25 years. :clapping:

Heck, yes!  But if you believe that stuff, you probably also believe that the world is ROUND, and that the moon landings REALLY happened!

As Sir John A MacDonald wrote:  "It is a grate pitye that the Internette hath caused so maney citizenes to believe in straynge tayles."

10 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

It's not that Spring is late, it's Winter that refuses to leave. We celebrated a friends Birth Day 6 years ago to the day yesterday, backyard BBQ, shorts and T shirts. It snowed here yesterday.

Right. It snowed, and then warmed up to 15C in the afternoon. Just gave a glimpse of what we’re missing before back to cold this morning.

I like a late spring. Some of my best springs have been late years. But it's probably because I concentrate on spring pike and a bit of bows until musky. Late spring is bonus for big pike after opener. We always crack 40" more on late spring years. I like a late spring early on, then have it speed up mid may. On the other hand I don't like going to the river and seeing spawning bows all over the place after opener... and I do enjoy a good spring patio beer.