Going to Dog lake Missanabie

Fishinfool1978

Hello Fella's,

My wife has reserved a cabin for myself and 5 friends at Northern Walleye Lodge (formerly Camp Missanabie) on Dog lake Missanabie Ontario. We are going on the first week of July. Trying to do early research as only one of the friends coming has fishing experience. Any experiences and tips to share. All advice would be appreciated!

1.  I suggest you bring your bait with you.  The worms they had for sale in 2016 were mush.

2.  Take a GPS with you and the minute you are at the lodge dock, create a waypoint and NAME IT.  That lake has a lot of back bays that all look about the same and I got turned around twice out evening fishing.  In both cases my GPS saved me a night out lost in the dark.

3.  If you use their boats, they have fish finders that are reasonably good, and you will need to eliminate unproductive water.  The walleye were in less than 12 feet pretty consistently when I was there, and most of the lake is deeper than that.  The map they provide is a good starting point, and you should be able to get a handle on what depth is productive when YOU are there.

4. I never did figure out the lake trout, which were suspended in good numbers.  A manual downrigger would have been a good idea to bring along.

5. Avoid the cabin above the dock and to the left as you look at the lodge.  (Cabin #6) The stove in that one could hardly boil water, and it was a DISASTER for trying to fry fish.  Even with all the windows open it is dark and dreary as well.

6. There is a bay to your left as you head away from the dock.  Fish the left shore of that bay for walleye in good numbers (but not much for size)

7.  Don't cheap out on rain gear.  That lake whips up BIG and chances are good that you are going to get wet at least once.

8. There is one funny turn up there on your way to the launch at Missinabie.  I forget exactly where it was, but the highway numbers are tricky, probably 651.  If memory serves me, the sign pointed one way but the road went another.

Good luck!

Doug

5 hours ago, Fishinfool1978 said:

Hi Doug, sorry thanks for the info, much appreciated! We have cabin 7. What week were you there? Any luck in Coreshack bay, Emily bay ? Did you try going East Bay 57 or in that area?

I do not recall the names of any of the bays.  I had a rental boat from the lodge and did not venture more than maybe eight kilometres from the dock, and mostly less than that.  It was the first week of August.

Doug

11 minutes ago, Fishinfool1978 said:

Thanks Doug, New to forums.. PM is personal messages? Where would I find that? I imagine posting this will cause laughter to whom ever reads it so enjoy fellas

Adam

Adam, go to this page and look at the top.  If yours is set up like mine (and I think it can be customized), your name will be in the upper right corner.  To the left of that is an envelope icon - click on that and it should take you to your pm's. (private messages)

SOMEWHERE you can set your board preferences, and ask for an e-mail notification for private messages.  If you get that e-mail, you can then just click on the highlighted text, which will take you to the most recently received private message.

HTH

Doug