Anyone own a Lund 1975 ProV?

fishnguy

Hi all

Regular reader, infrequent commenter here....but I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this forum.  I've got a random question that's eating my brain.  I'm in the market for a new 1975 Pro V but I can't get totally comfortable that it will fit in my garage.

By chance, does anyone here own a 2017 or 2018 Lund ProV 1975, and if so, do you know if it fits in a standard 7 foot high garage (double wide).  I've researched all the specs and it says it's 6'10" on the trailer, but forum comments are mixed regarding whether or not it actually fits in a 7" garage.  There's also the issue of my driveway incline, and my trigonometry isn't good enough to figure out how that all factors in...if at all.

Follow up question:  Any chance anyone owns one and lives in, or visits, the Owen Sound area and would be willing to swing by with their boat and help me size it up.  I'll even pay you.

Anyone with any insights on this?

Thanks a bunch

Ben

Edited by fishnguy

Measure the trailer, then measure your garage door. It doesn't matter how wide or high the inside of the garage is it is the size of the door you need to get the boat into.  Double wide means nothing to me. You mean a 2 car door without a post or 2 single doors?  I'm going to say right now a 19' boat trailer will be too long to fit into a standard garage depth. But measure it man. This ain't rocket science.

I don't know of any dealer in the World that will bring you a spanking new or old boat to see if it fits in your garage  unless you already paid for it and paid for delivery. Why don't you ask the dealer Ben?

Is this a past it's date April Fools joke?  I'm gullible.

No it's really not a joke.  The garage door is 7 ft, 6'11" with stripping.  Boat is 6'10 based on specs, and I'd be backing it in on an incline with a small 'lip' going into the garage.  There's not a lot of wiggle room.   I'm not concerned about width or length of the garage, but the height concerns me.  And if you read around on boat forums as I've been doing for weeks, you'll see enough people saying that it won't fit that it would make anyone nervous about verifying everything before ordering.  I don't think that's crazy, is it?

The beam is 6'11" or the trailer is 6'11". If you have an inch to spare and a grade you are going to bang e fenders more than a few times. Better the fenders than the boat. Measure from the "hump" to the top of the door. You can always let air out of your tires to clear the top of the door. We have had to do exactly that. You must have a very deep garage.

I am going to agree with the other guys, if a standard tract built home the boat won't fit. Measure it man!!!

Specs have the boat on the trailer at 6'10" high.  Like I said, length and width are not an issue (yes....I measured the heck out of that  ;)).  It's the 7" garage door height that has me nervous and that lip backing it in.  I'm *fairly* certain it will fit, but it would suck a LOT if I'm wrong.  Just throwing out a hail mary here since I'm not really sure how else to be totally certain.

What Hail Maria? Measure the floor hump to the the bottom of the door frame .  Man, if it's too tight take air out of the tires, or buy a trailer with thinner tires. I got it, take a jackhammer to the hump. I'm going to start to use all CAPS. Is this Brian or Albert  breaking my corlies?

edit: forget the specs measure the boat height yourself. If the "specs" are not 100% you may rip off the top. Now I'm using bold and italics. Bad day today, sorry.  Let  me guess you are an engineer or IT guy.

Edited by Old Ironmaker
, you

I can see where the boat's height on the trailer could be a concern, is there a dealer near you? If  that is all that is holding up a prospective sale they might bring one out for a test if you are close?

Do they all use the same trailers? That may also be a factor if they are different?

Thank you, Ohio!  I was starting to think I was crazy for even asking the question. 

If I was close to a dealer, I'd definitely ask.  None are nearby, unfortunately.  3 hours min.  Was hoping for dumb luck that someone on the board has experience with that model in a standard height garage door.

I've measured the boat on the trailer, and it will be close.  Not sure if the driveway incline or the lip into my garage matters but it's enough to give me some doubt. 

Ironmaker, thanks for the comments.  I know there are some options for making it work.  None of them ideal.

LOL, not crazy at all, my Astro vans would fit if my standard 16x7 garage door, my current 2500 series full size van won't, but I had an 8 foot high door installed on my barn when it was built.

Another factor to consider is will it fit with a cover on? but that seems less of a hassle than the boat not fitting at all.

Don't forget about any hardware on the garage door either.  If it's that close, handles, etc. on the garage door could be a factor too.  A big gouge across the top of the motor before you even get the boat in the water won't be pleasant.

Edited by John Bacon

Do as a few others here have already suggested; let some air out of the tires. Depending on the tire, you could gain 4-6 inches of clearance. Let out as much air as needed; even 1/2 to 3/4s flat, won't hurt the tire, for the 8-10 feet you need to roll them into the garage. Now this is meant as a joke; but if you can afford a 2018 boat, you probably have a few loonies left over to buy a decent air compressor. LOL

Dan.

After posting the above I found these tire deflators. They can be adjusted to whatever lower pressure you want. Screw them on the stem they will let air out until it reaches the set press

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTOHXI/ref=psdc_15709141_t2_B00QBPBLWY

Edited by DanD
More Info

2 hours ago, fishnguy said:

Thanks Terry.  Which Impact do you have?  And is yours a standard 7" door?

Dan, thanks for that link. 

Appreciate the comments.

1775.  And. I think it’s a 7 ft door.  I will ch ck when I get home 

Here's another option, maybe? If the garage door is a panel door and your sofit and or gabble allows. Have a garage door company add another panel and raise the header. You'll have all the clearance you need. Like you said its an newer home so the door panels should still be available?

Dan. 

Edited by DanD

With an 1850 tyee and a 7' door we can fit it in but we have to drop the trailer to the tongue wheel then crank it down to put the nose down so the windshield clears, then it's a simple push into place from there

OK I understand now about bellying out the trailer. You just need to try putting her in, after you buy it and any boat that size no matter what make will pose the same problem I believe. Like I said either option # 1, take air out of the tires or option #2 jackhammer out the grade. I like option number 1. You must have a deep garage to fit the length. That is usually the issue not width or height.  There are single garages around here that guys have cut a hole in the door and the tongue sticks out a few feet. Just don't buy a Cracker, errrr I mean Tracker.

I have a very similar setup.  My boat goes in my 7 foot door by about an inch but I did learn very quickly that it DOES NOT go in with the windshield open (an open window adds well over an inch to the height).  I didn't wreck anything thankfully but it is only a matter of time before it happens again.  The tongue height makes a big difference at the windshield too, my trailer dolly is higher than my truck hitch and makes it even tighter,   The hump at the doorway has very little effect because the wheels are well inside the garage on the flat floor before the windshield gets to the door.