NF - Best Penetrating fluid?

farsider

Figured I would ask....tons of experience on this board.

What is the best penetrating fluid available to aid removing a compressed broken off SS bolt?

Heard good things about Kroil,  except where it might be available.  Saw the ATF/Acetone 50/50 mix story too.  Anyone use this?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Most any type of oil; but cutting oil would be the best, to be used as a coolant. Then a HSS (High Speed Steel) left hand drill bit and an easy-out. I've also had good luck, mig welding a nut to the broken bolt. The heat of the weld will loosen the corrosion and the nut gives you something to twist on. 

I know this doesn't answer your penetrating oil question; but you need a means of turning the bolt.

Dan.

Thanks for the input and thanks Dan.  

It really suggest it is a two part question but, it got me thinking if there was a superior penetrating fluid.

Helping a buddy at his cottage and wanted to bring all that I would need to cover my bases.

Hopefully backs out first go but, he has already monkeyed with it a bit with little success.

Mark

49 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

am i the only one laughing at this Title?

This is a very serious topic. No time for funny business, LOL

I will use tapping fluid. it,s seams to get right in there quick. Is this SS screwed into SS as well?

Edited by misfish

1 hour ago, OhioFisherman said:

Just curious, what is it broken off in? Some of that stainless is hard to drill a hole in for an ez out, you may need a carbide drill, and there are a couple at least styles of ez outs, depending on the situation one may work better than another.

Some dock hardware.  Gangway that attaches to dock and has a post sleeve on the land end.  Post sleeve is held in place on post with through bolt.

SS bolt threads though sleeve.  Sleeve is Galvanized with threaded insert(SS maybe).  Bolt head torqued off at threaded insert.

Worst case scenario, I cut off sleeve from post and replace with new sleeve.  Wanted to try removing the bolt first.

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

am i the only one laughing at this Title?

Get yer head out of the gutter. (lol)

21 minutes ago, misfish said:

This is a very serious topic. No time for funny business, LOL

I will use tapping fluid. it,s seams to get right in there quick. Is this SS screwed into SS as well?

Not positive if it is yet.  Maybe SS or Galv.

Thanks 

10 minutes ago, farsider said:

Yep.  

Believe it to be this Universal Bracket (KD 180 U)

http://kwikdox.ca/products/plates/#!

I am just assuming that since it appears to be just a nut welded onto a piece of galvanized steel that the bolt maybe the only stainless involved. It's broke off flush? no nub you can get a pair of channelocks on and try and heat and remove?

I would put some anti- seize paste on the replacement.

Heat the bolt/nut then give it a good douse of ice cold water. As soon as the thing is cool  take a wrench with a 2' pipe extension to it, lefty loosy. If it breaks off tap it. If it breaks you know that no matter how much lube you gave her it would never work loose anyway. At $1000.00 a minute downtime I never had the luxury of waiting for penetrating fluid to work.

Haul a torch down to the dock. Nothing but cast steel beats a torch.

Edited by Old Ironmaker