Slowing Down

stasbrute

,Hello People, I am looking for tips on slowing down my boat for trolling, without resorting to a kicker motor.  I recently replaced my boat, and the new one has a 90 Honda, on idle I can't get much below 2 mph. I was thinking of two drift socks off the back, If anyone on this board have any suggestions I would love to hear them. 

Thank you

Greg

Silly question Greg, I'm assuming you need to get down slower for walleye?   Cause 2mph is about the absolute minimum out in Lake O even in the early spring.   Those browns/lakers will chase down anything.

If you use trolling bags hang them off the bow cleats on either side.  I inherited 2 of them with my new boat last year and found them a pain when trolling.  But they just got in the way at the back of the boat. Long story short I now have a kicker, but definately hang them off the front if you use em!  I gave up and just used my bowmount to troll pickerel speed last season on smaller waterbodies, but that doesn't work so well on Erie when the wind is up.

Edited by porkpie

I use a trolling plate and to help with steering I've added a notch between full up and full down position. For added maneuverability you can also drill holes on the face of the plate. 

3 hours ago, stasbrute said:

Good tips guys. thanks. i never thought about dragging the bags from the bow cleats, i already have the drift socks, so I will try this out. 

I use a Minn Kota drift sock on the bow cleat on one side with a short rope extension. But not too long or it will get to the prop. Steering is challenging as the boat pulls to one side.  Just a tip. I’ve wrecked several drift socks by taking off without pulling them in. By the time you notice they’ve ripped apart. ?