Looking for new graph...how important is side imaging

bigcreekdad

12 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Huh??? 

Maybe we used a different technology or something, but there's no way I would be able to interpret SI 240ft out. Disclaimer: I don't have SI on my boat but my fishing partner does. 

Where it really shined was checking docks for fish (bass) which was in very close quarters. 

Then again it looks like you're using SI for locating structure while I'm using it to find fish.

Agreed. I don't target suspended fish so rarely ever use electronics to look for fish. I'm not sure how you use it for fishing docks either? Do you drive past all the docks first to decide which ones hold fish? I catch fish all the time that don't show up on my electronics and that's on a clean bottom...not sure how reliable it would be with weed growth under a dock?  I'd like to hear more about your process. As for the 240 ft per side....not my numbers. I have HDS units and get great data out to about 150 or so. That's a 300' swath and like previously mentioned, I can spot structure, zoom in, lay down a waypoint, and circle back on it. I also have a Point 1 antenna so I know exactly where I'm facing and how far out the waypoint is. This is extremely handy in water 15+ feet or more. This is my method for breaking down large targets areas such as points. Instead of fishing the "point", I'll do a 5-10mph fly-by and lay down a bunch of waypoints on any good looking structure that on the point. Then fish those waypoints only. Makes breaking down a point, saddle, hump, etc much quicker and I only fish the good structure on the structure. 

7 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Agreed. I don't target suspended fish so rarely ever use electronics to look for fish. I'm not sure how you use it for fishing docks either? Do you drive past all the docks first to decide which ones hold fish? I catch fish all the time that don't show up on my electronics and that's on a clean bottom...not sure how reliable it would be with weed growth under a dock?  I'd like to hear more about your process. As for the 240 ft per side....not my numbers. I have HDS units and get great data out to about 150 or so. That's a 300' swath and like previously mentioned, I can spot structure, zoom in, lay down a waypoint, and circle back on it. I also have a Point 1 antenna so I know exactly where I'm facing and how far out the waypoint is. This is extremely handy in water 15+ feet or more. This is my method for breaking down large targets areas such as points. Instead of fishing the "point", I'll do a 5-10mph fly-by and lay down a bunch of waypoints on any good looking structure that on the point. Then fish those waypoints only. Makes breaking down a point, saddle, hump, etc much quicker and I only fish the good structure on the structure. 

Not 100% sure of the details but at the bow of my partner's boat is a helix (I think). We swing around near a dock, say 25-30ft out and with the proper orientation SI scans under the dock. The dock pillars will show up strong and are easy to interpret. Using the dock pillars as reference you can easily see whether there are larger fish hanging around. Then it's just a matter of knowing where to cast. Where this was used (Temagami) weed growth isn't a big problem as the lake is very rocky. Every dock and structure gets a few casts regardless, as you mentioned fish can hide...

im sure I am just repeating what everyone else said...I never cared much for si until I really thought about it and started using it....

Traditional sonar and down imaging allows you to see whats going on under your boat...the odd time, ya you may see a fish suspended, but what you are really trying to figure out is what the heck is going on down there....with si you drive down the lake and all of a sudden you can say wow, there is a weed edge 70 feet to the right of the boat...or hey there is a pile of rubble 80 feet to the left of the boat.

I think to all of the times that I have been driving down the lake using 2d sonar and i notice some crazy feature or drop off and decide that its probably worth fishing that pile of boulders...and sure enough catch fish...imagine being able to scan 200 feet of the lake all at once.

I also totally disagree with sterling...deep water is when Si really shines IMO. cruising along the lake in 30 fow you will see everything around you. I guess "deep" is a relative term, its not going to help you in 200 fow for salmon

IMO its totally worth it.

Edit...dont overlook down imaging either...This fall I was driving along and notice a pile of what looked to be just garbage/weeds on the bottom in 20 fow, pretty much just a clump of whatever...Ya ok it may be fish? flip to d.i. sure enough there are 20 perfect siloutes of individual perch with a big hook below them, drop shot down...this guy comes up

old_stinker.jpg

Like most things, its all about how comfortable you get with them. A lot like baits...if you feel good about what you are doing it will work for you. If you are wary of the technology you probably wont use it. My dad has an si unit...he literally had the DI screens shut off because according to him "they are useless" lol

Edited by AKRISONER

Garnet,

While I agree that SI on a TM will blur when you turn, it does have its advantages if you know what you are looking for. I have been in scenarios with my buddy where I was monitoring the unit at the console and he was monitoring the one at the bow with SI and we could determine the length of rock piles to narrow our drift. It all has a use, the cost is what determines how much you have to have it.

As for 360, my tournament partner had it for a while and sold it. He did not like the imaging on it unless you were stationary. He found that even small waves would disrupt the view and just got frustrated with it. He felt that if he was in shallow water and had a talon or something to hold his position, it would be better at getting what he was looking for with regards to clarity of the screen but, it was not worth it to him so he sold it.

17 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

im sure I am just repeating what everyone else said...I never cared much for si until I really thought about it and started using it....

Traditional sonar and down imaging allows you to see whats going on under your boat...the odd time, ya you may see a fish suspended, but what you are really trying to figure out is what the heck is going on down there....with si you drive down the lake and all of a sudden you can say wow, there is a weed edge 70 feet to the right of the boat...or hey there is a pile of rubble 80 feet to the left of the boat.

I think to all of the times that I have been driving down the lake using 2d sonar and i notice some crazy feature or drop off and decide that its probably worth fishing that pile of boulders...and sure enough catch fish...imagine being able to scan 200 feet of the lake all at once.

I also totally disagree with sterling...deep water is when Si really shines IMO. cruising along the lake in 30 fow you will see everything around you. I guess "deep" is a relative term, its not going to help you in 200 fow for salmon

Edit...dont overlook down imaging either...This fall I was driving along and notice a pile of what looked to be just garbage/weeds on the bottom in 20 fow, pretty much just a clump of whatever...Ya ok it may be fish? flip to d.i. sure enough there are 20 perfect siloutes of individual perch with a big hook below them, drop shot down...this guy comes up

old_stinker.jpg

Like most things, its all about how comfortable you get with them. A lot like baits...if you feel good about what you are doing it will work for you. If you are wary of the technology you probably wont use it. My dad has an si unit...he literally had the DI screens shut off because according to him "they are useless" lol

Great post. When we were looking for those rock piles/boulders, we were in 40 FOW. It is most definitely not just for shallow water.

I am amazed at some of the fishing machines decked out. 2 guys came out to our little community fundraiser for a local volunteer Firefighters family that died in a kitchen fire in his own home. A Walleye tourney and won it. That Walleye boat had to be well over 100 Grand. If there was technology available on the biggest screens available they had it. I counted 4, plus the Talon anchors, power everything, a loaded 12 rod tower etc. etc. Not fair I say, just not fair. The grand prize was $500.00, and ask me if they donated any back to the Firefighters kids like the winner usually does? Are you kidding?  No one knew these guys, not a soul. I'm off topic of course sorry guys. It just irks me.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

7 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

old_stinker.jpg

That sign looks familiar lol. The jig is up on that spot lol. 

Edited by Musky Plug

10 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

old_stinker.jpg

Down imaging was how we found walleye and smallmouth on Lake Erie, that or head towards the island of boats for the walleye, they would even show up on a flasher.

At the bass club meeting recently, Garmin/Daiwa was present and did a demo of the new Panoptix technology.

Once you see how that works ... you'll want to sell your kidney on the black market to buy one of these amazing units.  Attach it to the trolling motor and use it to scan not just down but in front of the boat ... in real-time instant feedback up to easily 100ft away ... pretty slick!  There are YouTube vid's demoing how these new units work.

Myself, I have a DI Humminbird G2N unit on my bow and a SI Humminbird G2N unit at the console.

Edited by TheKawarthaAngler

13 minutes ago, TheKawarthaAngler said:

At the bass club meeting recently, Garmin/Daiwa was present and did a demo of the new Panoptix technology.

Once you see how that works ... you'll want to sell your kidney on the black market to buy one of these amazing units.  Attach it to the trolling motor and use it to scan not just down but in front of the boat ... in real-time instant feedback up to easily 100ft away ... pretty slick!  There are YouTube vid's demoing how these new units work.

Myself, I have a DI Humminbird G2N unit on my bow and a SI Humminbird G2N unit at the console.

Panoptix is a total game changer...but is also $2,000 for a base model unit.

Big difference between a Helix 5/7 si and a panoptix system.

I literally think panoptix is even more valuable for ice fishing...its absolutely insane.

Get the si and learn how to use it and you will be happy you did. If you fish structure it's a valuable tool. Example: you can troll past a weedline and lay down waypoints along the entire edge marking all angulations accurately - then you have your spot well mapped to cast or troll next time. Much more effective mapping structure with side imaging opposed to regular sonar when you are on top of it.

3 minutes ago, JoshS said:

Get the si and learn how to use it...

Bingo.  The biggest problem with all this stuff is that people buy it, install it, and never take the time to learn how to use it effectively for their application.