Such a terrible thing.

lew

8 minutes ago, zenon11 said:

But that’s literally their entire business model, providing a way to help various causes, and they charge for that service. If this happen 20 years ago, there’s no way they would have reach 15 mil in donations. They got that because of GoFundMe

Thats true.  Just seems a little high of a charge and i might be still a little rattled with the whole tragedy. 

3 hours ago, LostAnotherOne said:

GoFundMe charged 500 grand from all the money raised.  Knew people were going to cash in on this terrible tragedy.  Tragedies like this bring in the best and worst of people. 

The people that are working with this money to make sure it's properly divided are most likely not working for free either.   I don't see GoFundMe as making $$ off this tragedy, it's their business model.   

All im saying guys is that every penny donated should be going to the families and not into anyones pocket.  GoFundMe has a great business model and Humboldt wouldnt have gotten that much money without it, but it should be run as a non profit organization. 

3 hours ago, zenon11 said:

But that’s literally their entire business model, providing a way to help various causes, and they charge for that service. If this happen 20 years ago, there’s no way they would have reach 15 mil in donations. They got that because of GoFundMe

Exactly, their percentage is clear.

1 hour ago, LostAnotherOne said:

All im saying guys is that every penny donated should be going to the families and not into anyones pocket.  GoFundMe has a great business model and Humboldt wouldnt have gotten that much money without it, but it should be run as a non profit organization. 

Why should GoFundMe be run as a not for profit?

Update on the GoFundMe site today regarding the dispersion of funds etc.

To our donors,

We'd like to take this opportunity to clarify how the Humboldt Broncos Memorial Fund Inc. (HBMFI) and the HumboldtStrong Community Foundation operate as two separate entities. 

HBMFI:

The money donated to this GoFundMe page will be distributed by the HBMFI only to the 29 families of those who were injured or who lost their lives. 

In 2015, the Government of Saskatchewan enacted law regarding crowdfunding donations known as The Informal Public Appeals Act. The HBMFI was created solely to oversee the fair allocation of the GoFundMe funds for their intended purpose, according to the process dictated by Saskatchewan law. While the HBMFI will work as quickly as possible, this legal process merits careful attention and should not be rushed.

The GoFundMe raised a total of $15,174,900. After the deduction of fees necessary to cover the cost of third-party card processors, and the safe and secure transfer of funds (2.9% plus 30 cents per donation), the net amount which HBMFI anticipates receiving is $14,676,373,94. 100% of this amount will go to those who were injured, and to the families of those who lost their lives. All of the caring officers, directors, legal counsel and advisory committee members will serve the HBMFI without compensation, and all additional services necessary for the operation of the HBMFI will be contributed free of charge. 

The HBMFI have ensured the families are aware of this process and its ongoing commitment to ensuring their financial needs are served, whether that’s through the continued facilitation of insurance payments, or your donated funds.

HumboldtStrong Community Foundation: 

In the wake of this tragedy, the Humboldt Broncos have also received generous donations through other outlets outside of this GoFundMe. These funds will be managed by a separate non-profit organization called the HumboldtStrong Community Foundation. The funds within this Foundation are not connected to the GoFundMe in any way. Instead, they will support a broader range of individuals and organizations affected by the crash of the Humboldt Broncos team bus on April 6, 2018, and the aftermath thereof, including but not limited to: Humboldt Broncos’ players, employees, families, and volunteers; first responders and emergency services personnel and other teams, athletes, related organizations and communities.

The Humboldt Broncos’ family is #HumboldtStrong and united and will remain so as we move forward together in support of those affected by April 6.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Chris...you got your wish

hopefully justice gets served. It really seems to my like the RCMP took their time with this to ensure that their case was very very solid.

https://www.cp24.com/arrest-made-in-connection-to-deadly-humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-1.4002904

During the RCMP Press Conf. this afternoon announcing the over 30 charges the spokesman said they had 125 officers and staff investigating from day 1. They made sure every i was dotted and every t was crossed.

Before we get a lynch mob together and hang the accused ask yourself if you have never blown a STOP sign or gone through a red? I have and have been very lucky. When I was 17 with a new licence I passed a stopped School Bus on a very busy Hamilton street. I cried like a teen right there and then and thanked God I didn't kill a child. I can tell you I never did that again.

• Like 1

What this teaches us is just how important it is to be conscientious while driving. We all break laws every day when we drive above the posted limit, roll through a stop, or what seems to be very popular now, cruising through traffic lights really late. It doesn't seem a big deal because we generally don't get caught and it doesn't end with the horrific results mentioned above. But it could and that's what we all need to remember. I'm as guilty as the next guy and thank heavens I've never been on either side of that type of crash. Charges? Sure, but nobody wins here. 

• Like 2

I don't know what to think about the ridiculously low bail amount  the fellow is out on.

Just $1,000.

I would think it would be a bit higher considering all the lives ruined.

I sure hope this doesn't turn out like that case of the child molester at the West Edmonton Mall wave pool. ?

28 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I don't know what to think about the ridiculously low bail amount  the fellow is out on.

Just $1,000.

I would think it would be a bit higher considering all the lives ruined.

I sure hope this doesn't turn out like that case of the child molester at the West Edmonton Mall wave pool. ?

remember bail is set on a basis of risk of not appearing and potentially re-committing the crime. Remember, you dont pay bail at all if you simply show up on your court date.

The point is that there is no reason to force this guy to borrow money to pay his own bail. He isnt going to be driving, and theres obviously little to no risk of him not appearing. The guy isnt a "career criminal" hes a person that made an absolutely horrific mistake and used poor judgment.

Big difference between the two.

I think the RCMP took their time so emotions and the lynch mob would calm down.

My whole issue with this was Canada seems to have become overly politically correct, too racially sensitive and over accommodating.

$1k bail? Hopefully they took his passport and he has a gps tracker ankle bracelet thing.

Edited by chris.brock

19 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

remember bail is set on a basis of risk of not appearing and potentially re-committing the crime. Remember, you dont pay bail at all if you simply show up on your court date.

The point is that there is no reason to force this guy to borrow money to pay his own bail. He isnt going to be driving, and theres obviously little to no risk of him not appearing. The guy isnt a "career criminal" hes a person that made an absolutely horrific mistake and used poor judgment.

Big difference between the two.

well put, AK!

15 minutes ago, mikeh said:

I wonder if they are going to make changes to the intersection?

most definitely they will at minimum put rumble strips, a flashing stop light...something. 

Any time you see a big time fatality like this usually the problem gets addressed with larger warnings etc.