Such a terrible thing.

lew

I'm with Bill on this one. Anyone with a conscience will be tormented by this for the rest of their life, regardless of who was at fault. I have heard stories---friends of friends kind of stories but some, if not all must be true----of drivers  who tortured themselves when they were not at fault. One of those was the man who killed a kid just up the road from my sons' school. The driver had no chance---- the kid jumped out in front of him----but the driver's life was forever changed, and not for the better. 

Harold, this driver was definitely at fault in this case.

ok, I'm going to say it, a non white guy accidentally killed a bunch of young, white hockey players. Because of our politically correctness and wanting to accommodate and not offend anyone, the rules seem to be different for this incident. 

Edited by chris.brock

Ok, I won't argue that he was not at fault. And if he was criminally negligent in some way he will need to be held accountable for that. My point was that any punishment imposed by the state will be minor compared to the punishment his conscience will give him -----assuming he's not a psychopath.

but a driver following the bus isn't seeing the same view as the trucker so that's moot to me. ymmv. and everything will come out, guaranteed. this is too high profile for it to disappear into the paperwork. and charges will be coming if facts determine there was no reason he couldn't stop.

I'll wait for the reconstruction team to figure out why it happened. I hope they're handling this case with extreme caution.

1 hour ago, woodenboater said:

I'll wait for the reconstruction team to figure out why it happened. I hope they're handling this case with extreme caution.

Which is precisely why it is taking so long for the investigation to conclude. The RCMP have their finest on this case,  I am certain of it. 

1 hour ago, woodenboater said:

but a driver following the bus isn't seeing the same view as the trucker so that's moot to me. ymmv. 

dude, he was there, we weren't, he said the sun was a non factor.

Regardless, if the sun was a factor, why is he driving fast and blowing through stop signs if he can't see?

I think the investigation is pretty straight forward and has been over for quite a while Albert.

4 hours ago, chris.brock said:

A parent following the bus said the sun wasn't a factor.

We don't know the details, but the driver was negligent for sure. 

Do you have information no one else has? Is this a case of guilty until proven innocent?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

as far as i was aware, if you commit a traffic violation which causes an accident, you get charged with careless driving at a minimum.

There is 0 doubt the guy blew a stop sign, because if he didnt, he wouldnt have hit the bus going that fast. Hence, i think we can all agree that charges will definitely be laid, its just a matter of to what degree.

It doesnt matter if theres, black ice, you are driving at night during a blizzard, you are required to drive according to conditions. So even if the sun was right in his eyes causing him to blow a stop sign, he is still guilty of careless driving causing death...if he couldnt see, he was supposed to slow down to a safe speed, thats how the law is written, theres no way around it.

I got into an accident 10 years ago where i hit black ice and ended up crashing (i was admittedly inexperienced with driving during a flash freeze) the only reason i didnt get charged is because the person following me was able to confirm that we were driving exactly the speed limit and I didnt hit anyone, i just crashed into the ditch. Had I been speeding or committed any other driving infractions, i was going to be charged. Thats how driving laws work, its like rear ending someone, if you rear end someone you are always at fault because you were not leaving enough space or driving according to conditions.

18 hours ago, chris.brock said:

Harold, this driver was definitely at fault in this case.

ok, I'm going to say it, a non white guy accidentally killed a bunch of young, white hockey players. Because of our politically correctness and wanting to accommodate and not offend anyone, the rules seem to be different for this incident. 

Seems to me that it’s a stretch to assume because it may not have been a white truck driver (I have no idea) that it’s different. I thought any accident has to be investigated fully before any info is released. Just seems normal to me. No need to get all worked up about claiming political correctness when it’s just plain due diligence. 

No one is denying he blew the stop sign.    Was he under the influence?  Tired?  Blinded by the sun?  

The reason makes a huge difference.   Like I said before, accidents happen and this guy is going to have to live with it forever.

hopefully they make changes to the intersection, either a four way stop or a stop light. I don't know for sure but it seems like the trees right at the intersection stopped them from seeing each other (expropriate the land and cut down the trees).

11 hours ago, mikeh said:

hopefully they make changes to the intersection, either a four way stop or a stop light. I don't know for sure but it seems like the trees right at the intersection stopped them from seeing each other (expropriate the land and cut down the trees).

drop the trees (which shouldn't make a diff if one has to stop anyways, unless right of way driver is absolutely smoking) but rumble strips would be better as it's audible and you feel it so it gets your attention. or possible an overhead flashing red. I'd put money down that there will be a coroner's inquest into this accident after the court case wraps up.

1 hour ago, SirCranksalot said:

Would they normally release the name before charges are laid?

In the Marco Muzzo incident, 3 years ago,  a Grandfather and 3 grandchildren were killed.

His name was released pending charges.

12 hours ago, mikeh said:

Rumble strips leading up to the stop signs would do the trick.

The trees don't matter if the East/West traffic actually stops at the stop sign.

You can see fine if you stop as there is about 30' of clean ditch before the trees.

1 hour ago, LostAnotherOne said:

GoFundMe charged 500 grand from all the money raised.  Knew people were going to cash in on this terrible tragedy.  Tragedies like this bring in the best and worst of people. 

But that’s literally their entire business model, providing a way to help various causes, and they charge for that service. If this happen 20 years ago, there’s no way they would have reach 15 mil in donations. They got that because of GoFundMe