Such a terrible thing.

lew

• 4 weeks later...

I have always wondered if seat belts on buses may save lives? I have seen video of children flying through the air smashing themselves against the ceiling and the metal components inside a school bus during a collision. There was a debate as to whether seat belts on  School Buses was going to be mandatory in some jurisdictions including the US but transportation companies were concerned with the added costs. Nothing came of it. Seat belts have to be better than nothing I would think. Safety of buses has never evolved like autos, why?.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I think the police and the media are keeping the truck driver in the shadows purposely.

I think a lot of Canadians were pretty emotionally involved in this tragic story and would have wanted blood if they knew why the truck driver did this and who he is.

5 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

I think the police and the media are keeping the truck driver in the shadows purposely.

I think a lot of Canadians were pretty emotionally involved in this tragic story and would have wanted blood if they knew why the truck driver did this and who he is.

No doubt Chris.  I have a feeling why and its probably the best move. There could possibly be retaliation against a certain community. 

There have been lots of instances of people buying their class 1 licenses out West as well.

Not saying that this is what happened here though.

It was also the guys 2nd day on the job.

It's going to take a ton of time before the investigation is complete as well.

26 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

has it been established that the truck driver was at fault?

The truck driver had a stop sign and the bus driver didn't.  They are still investigating, but unless the brakes failed on the truck, it seems unlikely that they could come to to any conclusion other than the truck driver being at fault.  

Edited by John Bacon

2 hours ago, LostAnotherOne said:

No doubt Chris.  I have a feeling why and its probably the best move. 

I also have a feeling why, but I'm not sure it's the best move to cover stuff up because I think everyone must be responsible for their actions and this country might be a little over accommodating.

Telling the whole story might save lives too. Say it was distracted driving for example, people might think twice about doing it now.

26 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

The truck driver had a stop sign and the bus driver didn't.  They are still investigating, but unless the brakes failed on the truck, it seems unlikely that they could come to to any conclusion other than the truck driver being at fault.  

Thx---I didn't know that.

It is all speculation as to the root cause of this tragedy until all the investigations are done and I would think there will be a Coroners Inquest . I know the trucking companies here in southern Ont. can not get experienced drivers behind the wheels of both small and big rigs. The pay is almost minimum wage if that. Not sure about out west. The owner had only 1 driver at the time of the accident and his fleet was 2 trucks only it has been reported. I don't know if this means anything and I might get blasted for being politically incorrect but the majority of drivers of these old hoopdy dump trucks and smaller rigs I see on the roads out here can hardly speak English and haven't been here in Canada for long.  There may be unique challenges these guys face. I will bet dollars to donuts these guys are on the roads longer than they are supposed to be without down time and proper training and I bet many aren't even qualified.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I really don't wanna speculate to be honest.   Even if it was his 2nd day on the job, what happens if he gets blinded by the sunset and didn't know the roads?  That's an honest to god accident they'll he'll need to live with for the rest of his life.  Still wanna lynch him for that?  

A parent following the bus said the sun wasn't a factor.

The point is, I don't think the story is ever going to come out. We don't know the details, but the driver was negligent for sure. As for lynching him, maybe, I don't think saying "oops, sorry about that" is good enough. We have laws and penalties so stuff like this doesn't happen.