Such a terrible thing.

lew

I've had my head buried in drawings today and only heard about it during the Masters then switched to CBC. Tragic. These were only kids. A small community that is never going to get over losing the most precious thing we cherish, children. It sends a shot to my guts. Prayers to the injured and the families as well as the community. You never know.  

Sheldon Kennedy is on CBC right now, he survived a similar bus crash with his team in Swift Current Sask. where they lost 4 in 86'.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

4 hours ago, captpierre said:

Hard to imagine how this can happen. 2 Professional drivers. In daylight. Was the weather bad?

Weather was clear and sunny.

They haven't said what caused it but it looks to me that the truck driver blew the stop sign at highway 35.

There doesn't seem to be any skid marks noticeable from the tractor trailer rig trying to stop.

Just speculation on my part. We will have to wait until the RCMP have finished their investigation to know what really happened.

If you can think about donating to the GoFundMe campaign.  

https://www.gofundme.com/funds-for-humboldt-broncos

Edited by DRIFTER_016

6 hours ago, captpierre said:

Hard to imagine how this can happen. 2 Professional drivers. In daylight. Was the weather bad?

I was looking at the overhead pictures, I'm just guessing but it looks like the bus driver missed a stop sign and hit the trailer.

Doesn't matter now, a terrible thing that happened, very tragic.

19 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

I was looking at the overhead pictures, I'm just guessing but it looks like the bus driver missed a stop sign and hit the trailer.

Doesn't matter now, a terrible thing that happened, very tragic.

Nope. The bus was on HWY 35 which is a main highway.

The truck was on HWY 335 which is a secondary highway and had stop signs.

"The semi-trailer would have had to yield to a stop sign before crossing over the highway that the hockey bus was travelling on."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/humboldt-broncos-team-bus-crash-cause-1.4610147

3 hours ago, misfish said:

Report is trucker was charged, but that was it. If so, he should be made to look at that clip that was played on coach,s corner everyday. :(

We should restrain from handing down sentences. If that guy made a mistake that resulted in those deaths, he already has a lifetime of despair ahead...in fact, they're probably watching him for his own safety. It's a tragedy for everyone involved. 

The overnight news on Friday was saying that the truck T-boned the bus. By morning it was "under investigation" which means that the police weren't about to jump to conclusions. Witnesses or survivors may have been the ones mentioning the fact that the truck blew the stop sign.. 

1 hour ago, Fish Farmer said:

Every time I watch the news yesterday brought a tear to my eye.

Picture of this crossing from google shows crosses from a previous catastrophe  

Kmg829s.jpg

The news said a family of 4 from Alberta was killed there a couple years ago Dave, that's probably who the crosses are for.

Edited by lew

Photos show no damage to front of the truck,  major damage to front of bus, major damage to trailer and load littered over scene.

Appears bus hit truck.  But events leading up to crash are under investigation. 

12 hours ago, lew said:

The news said a family of 4 from Alberta was killed there a couple years ago Dave, that's probably who the crosses are for.

Thanks Lew, Makes one wonder what's with this intersection with these accidents. Did the trucker fall asleep? I bet he knows some of the families.

Edited by Fish Farmer

I did hear on CBC this afternoon that the driver of the truck has had to see a professional already to deal with what happened. That guy's life has changed forever as well. I can't imagine if it was me behind the wheel. I hope we don't try the guy through the court of popular opinion until all the facts come out and if need be he gets his day in court. It has already started though.

I also heard on the same report 2 million has been raised all across the country for the victims, the survivors and their families already. They are holding a Vigil tomorrow that will be telecast across Canada, I hope that may spur on some of us to donate what little we can.

Everything is hearsay so far until reconstruction has had the time to piece it together. But an honest question for anyone who drives heavy loads for a living. If, hypothetically, the trucker ran the sign, wouldn't the front end and cab have been totalled as well  It looks like he caught the front right quarter of the bus, judging by the way the bus is peeled.

Can't imagine being a first responder to this and they're going to need help as well.

this Roy MacGregor column says it all...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article-the-humboldt-tragedy-fifteen-dreams-shattered-when-that-truck-and-bus/

10 minutes ago, Whitespinnerbait said:

A Very tragic situation to say the least......Truck driver 100% at fault, there's nothing the bus driver could have done wrong.

Unless the bus driver was speeding and the trucker thought he was safe to cross the highway? Could explain why the tractor wasn't mashed; but the trailer was blown apart. How many times haven't we all seen a bus loaded with people, fly past you on the 401?

Dan.