Bait Tank

DanD

I have means of keeping a large amount of minnows alive, while transporting them and at camp for the week we'll be there. My question is, am I and our group allowed to keep our legal amount of bait fish (minnows) in the same tank? What we're thinking of is 30 dozen minnows split between 6 guys; which is still below an individualizes legal amount. Any thoughts?

Dan. 

That would depend on what zone of the 20 that exist it is in Dan. The 1st think you need to know if "live baitfish" originates from the zone you are fishing. That's a lot of minnows for a bait tank, if I picture what a bait tank is to me. When we had hundreds of minnows for the week etc. we had a bait cage in the water to keep them fed, alive and frisky. I believe if you use a cage in the water it has to be I.D'd. Easy to build with window screen with a fold down frame to store and assemble at the lake. Getting them there alive is another matter unless locally supplied.

30 years ago ours was built from broken Hockey sticks and window screen stapled to them that screwed together with a cordless. It lasted for years, I think my cousin in NY still uses it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I'm not looking for advice as in keeping the bait alive; it's the legality of keeping more then one person's limit in one holding tank. The bait will be coming from the same area we're fishing. The camp we're staying at doesn't keep minnows and the closes place is 45 minutes away.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

Do you think if we capt separate recites for whatever amount, would be OK with the MNR; if we were checked? I'm on file with the MNR already for improperly packaged fish (no tag left on) and not looking for another strike against me.

Dan.

That would totally be up to the individual CO. 

Answer your questions right and you'd most likely be fine. 

The individual receipts would help if you ever had to go to court, but the big question is who is in possession of all those minnows? 

I'd do it........

S. 

I can see it now; we get stopped and a CO is checking our bait. There's six guys in the box of the truck; all saying that's mine, oh no wait that's your minnow. LOL I think we'll be OK but wanted to check here if someone had any input. Hate getting in crap when someone can warn me that I'm ready to step in it.

Thanks.

Sorry Dan. To answer your question, pg 10 of the Ontario Fishing Regs. Maximum number of baitfish per person caught or purchased is 120.

So you are well within your limits at 60 each. PDF download of regs is readily available from the Ministry to all at Ontario Fishing Regulations.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

2 hours ago, Dozer said:

If its on the property and each guy is there, why not?  No different than a shared freezer I would think?

Aren't you supposed to be able to identify who owns each fish if they are in a shared freezer or live well?  That's pretty easy to do with fish in a freezer; not so easy with minnows in a tank.

On 4/7/2018 at 3:29 PM, irishfield said:

Those minnows are gonna be swiss cheese when you use the hole punch to mark each guys property. I hope you draw the straw for the single hole clip on yours Dan!!  :D

LOL

Wayne.

Maybe a sharpie and put our initials on? LOL

Does anyone know the web address to ask a CO; or if it still exist? 

Dan.