Dewalt Drill question

Do you folks think this drill would be sturdy enough for an ice auger?    This one, the DCD991P2  is brushless and is rated at 820 ----the same UWO rating as the 996. It's called a 'compact drill' though: that's why I am wondering how sturdy it is.  Does anyone really know what 'hammer drill' really means in terms of being robust? 

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dewalt-20v-max-li-ion-compact-brushless-cordless-drill-1-2-in-0547288p.0547288.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=dpa&utm_term=productviewers&utm_content=genmerch_image_productviewer_3days

4 minutes ago, BillM said:

My Dewalt 20V did NOT like my 8in auger, lol.  I made it smoke a few times.   I need that Milwakee M18 fuel.

Harold is using a 6", if I remember correct. it will serve him no issues. My Mil made swiss cheese using the 6". Like it was drilling through butter.

Thx, Brian. I'm balking at the price of a Mil Fuel because I don't need it for anything other than ice fishing. No doubt it's more sturdy than that Dewalt, though.

I have heard others talk about smoking drills as well. I thought they would just stall out before smoking. That's what my older DeWalt did when I tried it on my 6" Swedebore anyway.

I still have my dewalt with the XRP batterys. I used it for 2 seasons. NEVER, did it even smell like it was smoking. Always strong. I think many are pushing on their augers instead of letting the weight of the drill and plate  do the work.

If you look at my first attempt video  2012, you will see there was no pushing. That drill then, was old. I still say buy the fin bor 3. My BPS brand 6" is sweet, but have only used it on the milwacky.

All depends on what model you buy. The one you posted I wouldn't suggest for 8" based on others experience, if you get an XR or XRP or whatever the DeWalt competitor is to the fuel you'd be fine. 

If you pay attention to the model numbers, that's the difference. Many drills look identical but have different guts, all based on what tier they're considered. 

If you go into a construction supply store they'll have a totally different model selection from that of the big box stores.

Hmmm---Now I'm puzzled. I have a 759 already and it's only rated at 380UWO. I tried using it on my 6" Mora and it just stalled---clutch slipping, I guess. That clicking sound. Brian---I am quite surprised you cold get an auger to cut with that. I'm curious, though, why you upgraded to a M. Fuel.

Just for you my friend, I will haul out the plate and the auger and hook up the dewalt and head down to the marina in the morning, and do a special video, just for you. :wub:

I upgraded to the mil, as I wanted to bump up to the 8" and it was brushless, and my good friend Kevin, had already tested it and it was flawless.

Anymore questions?

:Gonefishing:

PS

It did cut with the 8"

The 6"

The 8"

Edited by misfish

1 hour ago, BillM said:

Brian, I think it's just my 8in auger that's too much for the drill.  A 6in would make it so much easier.    So yeah not really a drill problem, more of an auger that's just too big, lol.

Yup. Even with the mil powering the 8" , you still need to lift every few inches to save on the battery and wear on the drill. Still lighter and cheaper IMO then a gas jobber. And as stated many times. If the drill or battery die,you just put the handle on. Day still goes on.:Gonefishing:

I didn't get down there this morning Harold. Other things came up that were pressing today. Also depressing. The bay is so solid still.

All you can do is trust me when I say,you can do it, with a 6" and maybe your drill is funky. :Gonefishing:

On 4/8/2018 at 11:29 AM, misfish said:

Yup. Even with the mil powering the 8" , you still need to lift every few inches to save on the battery and wear on the drill. Still lighter and cheaper IMO then a gas jobber. And as stated many times. If the drill or battery die,you just put the handle on. Day still goes on.:Gonefishing:

I didn't get down there this morning Harold. Other things came up that were pressing today. Also depressing. The bay is so solid still.

All you can do is trust me when I say,you can do it, with a 6" and maybe your drill is funky. :Gonefishing:

Ha---i thought you were kidding when you said you would do it again!! I don't doubt what you said is true and your video shows it. Maybe my drill is 'funky' as you say. I was using a Swedebore whereas you were using a Finbore. That could make quite a diff too, IMO.