CRAPPIE BY QUAD.

limeyangler

Hi all,

Winter continues with a vengeance here, mostly -20C at night for the last week and into the weekend. It was warm last week for 1 day and everything hardened up. The snow pack is like concrete, so its quad time. Got out for 2 hours yesterday in-between work, to do list and school runs, got a nice limit of crappie.

do you move around or do you just have one honey hole that produces really well?

The are where i fish em them got absolutely pounded for years until everyone stopped fishing cause it went to "crapp" 

sure enough the population is rebounding, but we only keep a few a season.

There are a few areas that hold them. Last year the spot I was on in the video did not produce that well at all, whereas the year before that it was on fire. I have done a bit of exploring in that area and found other spots that hold good numbers of fish, plan Bull are always nice to have. My original spring spot has been completely raped and is a shadow of its former glory but I have a couple new spots I wanna try this year in the boat.

sometimes i question the limits on crappie, especially down here where a spot can just get absolutely ruined in a short amount of time.

I mean what do we expect if people can take 100 fish home a day every day for an entire winter...somethings gotta give.

I guess they are invasive in some lakes?

6 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

sometimes i question the limits on crappie, especially down here where a spot can just get absolutely ruined in a short amount of time.

I mean what do we expect if people can take 100 fish home a day every day for an entire winter...somethings gotta give.

20 years ago or so we used to catch them in Marina X, I haven't seen very many in the past years.  It used to be an evening outing right around dark, they would bite like crazy.

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

They have a limit of 30 in the Kawarthas, but that didn't stop the spots from being raped to the point of not being able to catch a single crappie out of some past honey holes.  They were invasive, but a lot of fun while it lasted. Here to stay though, so maybe they will rebound.

I am envious of our friend in the north!!!!!!!1

7 hours ago, Fisherman said:

20 years ago or so we used to catch them in Marina X, I haven't seen very many in the past years.  It used to be an evening outing right around dark, they would bite like crazy.

Yupper. I remember those nights bud. 

Simon

Watched this at lunch time. I kept my eye on the other un maned rod.  I wanted to grab it through the screen and set the hook. LOL

Those are some nice slabs.

7 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I also question the limits on fish sometimes, they seem waaaaaaay too high, especially when you factor in  that in most cases any resource is finite. Just because something is legal doesn't make it ethical, afterall, slavery was legal at one point. 

15 hours ago, limeyangler said:

Hi all,

Winter continues with a vengeance here,

Here as well. Last year we were golfing by now. Today Lonnie sized snowflakes blowing up hill off the lake. This winter just won't go away. Nice video as usual mate. Well done. You do know you talk to yourself when fishing, like most of us.  My language at times is R rated though, especially when a hog Walleye spits the hooks boat side.

They used to hammer those critters at a local marina, of course once I decided to go for them they were nowhere to be found, of course.

Art if you are reading this please PM me, I can't get the "contact" feature to work nor does the PM. I need Blue, and not the Ale.

8 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Here as well. Last year we were golfing by now.

to depress myself i started looking at photos in my phone from this time last year...we broke ice in the tinner and were fishing open water crappies 3 days from now...we are at least 3 weeks away from ice out...possibly longer.

On the bright side, the way that the calendar is set up and the really cold spring means that bass season is literally going to be insane this year. Im expected bass to be on the spawn or just barely post spawn on opener.

Edited by AKRISONER

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

to depress myself i started looking at photos in my phone from this time last year...we broke ice in the tinner and were fishing open water crappies 3 days from now...we are at least 3 weeks away from ice out...possibly longer.

On the bright side, the way that the calendar is set up and the really cold spring means that bass season is literally going to be insane this year. Im expected bass to be on the spawn or just barely post spawn on opener.

MARCH 31st 2012

open water.jpg

MARCH 31st 2018

not so open.png