careful when you open your doors today

huzzsaba

Great day to test out a little Skeeter on the big water!! :o lol 

Eastern Lake Erie - "Today Tonight and Thursday.Over open water waves 4 metres subsiding to 3 near midnight and to one early Thursday morning. Waves building to one and one half metres Thursday evening."

That's about 14' of water!!! Put away the topwaters.

You city folk don't know what windy is. I saw waves yesterday that had to be 12 feet from belly to tip, maybe more. I took my wife's little Kia to the hardware store and it nearly took the door clean off the hinges had I not held it. Wind measured 90MPH on a buoy outside Colbourne I was told today. Believe it or not that wasn't the windiest I have seen it, close though. That was a summer thunderstorm years ago when the due west would pick up water and fling it 100's of feet parallel to the shoreline, waterspouts every 20 minutes, the sky was so black all the solar lights came on. A due west wind or due east wind here is very rare. Power went out in the Erie and Pittsburg Pa area for 8 hours back then.

Warning. If any of you are on Erie in a boat and the wind shifts to due east or due west get off that lake ASAP. What is about to follow is never good. I told a couple of guys that were out with me here Perch fishing, and we were hammering Jumbo's to pack it up, now as the Sun was shining and a tad breezy. They were bewildered and protested quite ineffectively. By the time we rounded Peacock Point the sky was black and lightning was striking the Hydro stacks. Both are very Christian and they were speaking in tongues by the time we hit the creek. The reason I could tell the wind was coming was looking at the plumes coming off the stacks at 90 degrees. Those stacks were not just markers to a safe port, when they were making power they told wind direction and speed in a glance. I will miss them.

On 4/5/2018 at 3:11 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

You city folk don't know what windy is. I saw waves yesterday that had to be 12 feet from belly to tip, maybe more. I took my wife's little Kia to the hardware store and it nearly took the door clean off the hinges had I not held it. Wind measured 90MPH on a buoy outside Colbourne I was told today. Believe it or not that wasn't the windiest I have seen it, close though. That was a summer thunderstorm years ago when the due west would pick up water and fling it 100's of feet parallel to the shoreline, waterspouts every 20 minutes, the sky was so black all the solar lights came on. A due west wind or due east wind here is very rare. Power went out in the Erie and Pittsburg Pa area for 8 hours back then.

Warning. If any of you are on Erie in a boat and the wind shifts to due east or due west get off that lake ASAP. What is about to follow is never good. I told a couple of guys that were out with me here Perch fishing, and we were hammering Jumbo's to pack it up, now as the Sun was shining and a tad breezy. They were bewildered and protested quite ineffectively. By the time we rounded Peacock Point the sky was black and lightning was striking the Hydro stacks. Both are very Christian and they were speaking in tongues by the time we hit the creek. The reason I could tell the wind was coming was looking at the plumes coming off the stacks at 90 degrees. Those stacks were not just markers to a safe port, when they were making power they told wind direction and speed in a glance. I will miss them.

OI, my volvo suv doors are heavy, and the wind flung it open like it was nothing. I seriously thought I broke something or may have dented the fender.  Luckily no damage. 

A crane went down at a construction site near our home. 3 trees were blown down at my work place :o

Judging from the variety of shingles I picked up in the yard,  the roofers are going to have a few jobs in my neighbourhood. Went to the new Costco at Winona that day, parked and the guy collecting shopping carts said they were closing,  power was out, then stopped at CTC on the way home as I was low gas,  they had just had a power surge that took down the computer system and they couldn't get it back up :wallbash: At that I just went home.

Dave, Winona has a Costco? When I was a kid Winona didn't have a corner store. We picked Cherries at my buddy Lenny's Uncle and Aunts farm, ate more than we came back with. There was a car lot though tucked against the bottom of the Mountain. Dad bought the 59 Chevy wagon there on Hwy 8. The last time I drove by 15 years ago that garage was still there.

OI, it's really not Winona, it's on the QEW south service road where the old Stop 50 Truck Stop used to be at Fifty Road. Bunch of stuff in there LCBO, Royal Bank,  Muskoka Joe's Bar and Grill, some chain hair cutting place and more to come. Saves me driving all the way to St. Kitt's  when the monthly cheque comes in.